Allergy to Rats - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
Daequix
Allergy to Rats

I'm pretty sure I've developed an allergy to Rats over the last 6 months or so-- which has made it very difficult to care for my collection. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if there are any suggestions out there. I did see a suggestion about Allegra which I'm going to try.

I am toying with seeing if switching to hairless rats might help.
I've found that mice don't seem to have the same effect and am going to ask my physician for a referral to an Allergic Disease doc to see if there might be any sort of medication that might at least lessen the symptoms. So far I've found the only relief has been bathing in lemon/vinegar to relieve it or even a bleach mixed with bath water bath-- which is pretty gross in and of itself (stinky! ) but does tend to give some relief.

Any exposure I literally find myself able to watch myself just break out in hives in what is like a time lapse movie....yay! Entertainment special!

Sooo would love to hear any ideas or suggestions for those that may also be dealing with this...

Old 12-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
JColt
I'm allergic to rats. If one walks on my arm with in 1/2 hour it looks like I took razor blade against my arm. I buy frozen.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
axeman
I'm allergic as well. Have to go my rats. I try to buy only what I need. I take Zyrtec but if I'm in a rat room too long I still get the runny nose and watery eyes. It helps. They may be able to give you shots but the pills aren't going to stop everything. You can also ask your Dr. about a depo-medrol shot. It suppresses your allergic response for a period of time.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Daequix
I may have to ask about the depo-medrol but my allergy isn't respiratory its all hives and itching. I guess frozen it is going to have to be, just hard during breeding season with the babies in getting them started on rat pups and such.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
axeman
The reaction is from the release of histamine. You need to block the histamine to stop the allergic response. The depo-medrol suppresses the bodies response to histamine. I get hives if I take certain medications. Bendryl stops that as well. I don't know if the depo shot would work with the hives, but your PCP may. I would think the only difference between live at F/T is that live continues to produce the dancers that would build up. I will say this, getting hives is a serious reaction and should be addressed. You certainly don't want to progress into anaphylaxis. That is a life threatening allergic reaction.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
Daequix
I'm absolutely addressing them...just wish I could figure a way to avoid them....but...not happening!

Old 12-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
April Homich
I have bad rat allergies, so I had to stop raising my own years ago. I don't really have issues with the frozen rats as long as I wash my hands immediately after handling them. Unfortunately, I'm dealing with an ever increasing allergy to feeder roaches that requires a face mask to deal with.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #8
Daequix
Quote:
Originally Posted by April Homich View Post
I have bad rat allergies, so I had to stop raising my own years ago. I don't really have issues with the frozen rats as long as I wash my hands immediately after handling them. Unfortunately, I'm dealing with an ever increasing allergy to feeder roaches that requires a face mask to deal with.
Ouch..luckily I haven't had any issues with that so far.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
deedeeiam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daequix View Post
Ouch..luckily I haven't had any issues with that so far.
Don't jinx yourself!

I was starting to develop an allergy to rodents for a short period of time. I noticed I was getting respiratory issues and a rash every time I got near that part of the house. I did a few things that really, really helped me. I started taking a low dose allergy medicine for a bit, but am not taking it anymore. I moved them to a different part of the house, installed a fan that vented outside and added an air purifier. I swear, the two things that helped me the most were changing the bedding and getting on a regular bathing schedule for the rats.

I was using carefresh and some paper pellets at the time. I just went to the craft store, picked up a few yards of thick fleece and used that for the liner and used ecobedding and some shredded paper in the nest areas and their litter pans. Reducing the amount of dander that was flying up in the air helped significantly.

I was always fairly good about bathing my rats on a as-needed basis. But I just started doing it routinely with a gentle dander-reducing kitty shampoo. I don't even need to wear gloves anymore and can play with my breeders.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
Daequix
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeiam View Post
Don't jinx yourself!

I was starting to develop an allergy to rodents for a short period of time. I noticed I was getting respiratory issues and a rash every time I got near that part of the house. I did a few things that really, really helped me. I started taking a low dose allergy medicine for a bit, but am not taking it anymore. I moved them to a different part of the house, installed a fan that vented outside and added an air purifier. I swear, the two things that helped me the most were changing the bedding and getting on a regular bathing schedule for the rats.

I was using carefresh and some paper pellets at the time. I just went to the craft store, picked up a few yards of thick fleece and used that for the liner and used ecobedding and some shredded paper in the nest areas and their litter pans. Reducing the amount of dander that was flying up in the air helped significantly.

I was always fairly good about bathing my rats on a as-needed basis. But I just started doing it routinely with a gentle dander-reducing kitty shampoo. I don't even need to wear gloves anymore and can play with my breeders.
Hmmm...had not thought of any of those ideas... I did start claritin after talking to my gp and honestly have noticed today (3 days into it) that my hives are not happening (yet) today. Did change all the air filters in the past few days so am hoping that helps and using care fresh....so you are suggesting fleece and what is 'ecobedding?'

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!