What Morph's Can and Cannot Produce offspring? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
Austin-12
What Morph's Can and Cannot Produce offspring?

If this topic has been covered before, excuse my ignorance. I'm just now learning about BP's and their Morph's.

This all started when I saw a Auction for a BP that was priced very low a "Female Desert" no where in the ad/auction did it state that this was not a breedable female. It was stated by another member to my surprise that this type of BP has not produced any offspring as of yet.

So with that in mind, what other Morph's don't produce yet? And why? Why would a color "Morph" keep an animal from being able to produce? I just don't get it!

Are there other snakes that cannot breed for whatever reason? I'm not talking about natural Gay snakes (I'm sure there are Gay snakes around :-), I mean why not, I've heard of other animals that don't produce from year to year) for what ever reason they don't ever breed.

What about snakes that consistently slug out every year? Any idea's?

How would you know if someone on Here or other places are trying to sell you a Gay snake? Is it only safe to buy proven? How do you limit the risk of buying a Morph that won't produce?

Old 06-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #2
tbgnc22
Just because an animal can't produce doesn't make it "gay". There are problems when we as breeders play god with these animals. Constant line breeding and inbred animals tend to develop issues. Such as the desert females. Its not the color morph that makes it not viable. There is something internal that prevents it from producing viable eggs. The end result is either death to the snake or she slugs out. As far as other reptiles I don't know. I do know there are several other ball python morphs that have deformaties but don't prevent them from being bred. Like the spider wobble, caramel kink, etc.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
Austin-12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbgnc22 View Post
Just because an animal can't produce doesn't make it "gay".
The term "Gay" in this post was meant to be Metaphor for humorous purposes.

So what you're saying is that inbreeding is a cause for these so called "Gay" snakes? Ie: line breeding/inbreeding....

What other BP's are prone to this?

Old 06-03-2013, 01:23 AM   #4
hhmoore
Your attempt at humor failed, and your choice of terminology is generally considered derogatory...putting it in quotes doesn't help. I'm sure you can manage to make your point without continuing to

Old 06-03-2013, 02:07 AM   #5
Austin-12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Your attempt at humor failed, and your choice of terminology is generally considered derogatory...putting it in quotes doesn't help. I'm sure you can manage to make your point without continuing to
I don't consider the word "Gay" to be derogatory in any way shape or form. Maybe in your mind, my expression failed, so be it! You aren't adding anything to the discussion except your view of me using a word that maybe you don't like!

I would hope there are other individuals with a sense of humor, (obviously different from yours) that can get past the blatant obvious wording of my post and respond in-kind.

So I just say this if you don't have anything to add to the discussion of my actual post and are offended by my use of the word "GAY" Maybe you shouldn't participate in this little ole thread! It's really easy to do....just ignore it! It doesn't get much easier than that!

Or is this forum run by mod's that only let people participate, if they only use words they approve of? Am I breaking a Fauna rules? I guess if you ban me you could get your point across. But then again my original thread about "What Morph's Can and Cannot Produce offspring" would never really be answered.... I guess you could move me into the "General BS forum" or "Just For Laughs" or would I still be scrutinized for using the word "GAY" in a thread?

Humorlessness people that can't offer insight into the real topic need not respond! It's that simple!

So with that in mind, what other Morph's don't produce yet? And why? Why would a color "Morph" keep an animal from being able to produce?

Old 06-03-2013, 02:14 AM   #6
hhmoore
Quote:
Am I breaking a Fauna rules
Let's see... 1) antagonizing a moderator
Guess I don't need to count beyond that one.

Here's your chance to show a little common sense - blow it, and you're gone for a few days.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:23 AM   #7
hhmoore
I changed my mind - next time, think before you click Submit

Old 06-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
tbgnc22
I was waiting for that.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
snowgyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbgnc22 View Post
Constant line breeding and inbred animals tend to develop issues. Such as the desert females. Its not the color morph that makes it not viable. There is something internal that prevents it from producing viable eggs. The end result is either death to the snake or she slugs out.
The developmental issues in desert females has nothing to do with inbreeding or line breeding. You could have the most outcrossed, genetically strong desert female in the world yet she will still have a constricted oviduct, making it impossible for her to lay fertile eggs. Desert females DO produce viable eggs... however, they must be surgically removed. This defect is tied to the gene, just like spider/woma wobble in ball pythons or enigma circling in leopard geckos are tied to those genes.

Egg bound desert female surgery and discussion: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...rt+female+eggs

Shortly after that thread, most sellers began openly admitting that desert females were for pets only.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
tbgnc22
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
The developmental issues in desert females has nothing to do with inbreeding or line breeding. You could have the most outcrossed, genetically strong desert female in the world yet she will still have a constricted oviduct, making it impossible for her to lay fertile eggs. Desert females DO produce viable eggs... however, they must be surgically removed. This defect is tied to the gene, just like spider/woma wobble in ball pythons or enigma circling in leopard geckos are tied to those genes.

Egg bound desert female surgery and discussion: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...rt+female+eggs

Shortly after that thread, most sellers began openly admitting that desert females were for pets only.
When I spoke of inbreeding and such it was merely to point out the genetic flaws that can occur because of it. I should have separated the two statements from each other. I did however point out that the desert female issues have nothing to do with a color morph. It's strictly an internal issue that plagues them and was an issue that occurred in the wild when the first one was imported here. It had nothing to do with breeding this snake. Some combos have issues that arise from this type of breeding process. I am also aware that they have covered the desert gene with multiple other genes and she still hasn't "laid" a viable clutch. Perhaps I should have stated the word "laid" instead. You could have left out the surgical removal stand point because the person that started this thread is an idiot. He comes off as the type that would risk a snakes health and well being just to do something that stupid. It's why I didn't mention anything about that and left it as it was. Some people are better off without certain pieces of knowledge.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!