How many crickets to feed? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
Donna Passmore
How many crickets to feed?

I have a dragon that is 31/2 months old and purchased him a week ago weighing 31g and 91/2 inches long. I have been feeding him 3 times a day, first starting him off with vegetables then crickets. They are half inch to 5/8. The temp on the hot end around 103 and cool end 88. I use a uvb light along with his basking light. He is looking good while eating 30 and up crickets a feeding. I stop feeding him after 50 crickets all though I think he would eat more in the 10 mins. he eats. He now weights 43g. His crickets are shook with calcium . Can I feed him more crickets if he wants them?

Old 07-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
rosebud945
If he is active, yes. The rule of thumb is to feed them all they can eat in ten minutes. If he eats that many, though, he might be ready for bigger crix, but don't feed him crix that are bigger than the space between his eyes.

On your temps, when you say that the hot end is 103, how are you measuring that? Is it 103 degrees in general or is that the temp on the basking surface?

Old 07-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
Donna Passmore
I ordered a temp gun that should be delivered on Tues. Right now I am using a digital thermomotor with a probe to check temps. I use the 5/8 crickets that are the length between his eyes. I guess he likes to eat! He becomes really active when its feeding time.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
rosebud945
Donna, if he is eating that well and processing what he eats, then you are doing well by him.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!