Can heat tape be installed anywhere other than the floor? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:53 PM   #1
LittleGrayTiger
Can heat tape be installed anywhere other than the floor?

So that's my simple question: can heat tape be installed places other than the floor? I'm working on some multi-unit tower cage designs and am trying to price out different options. I have a way to install heat tape IN the wood cages without contacting the snakes on the floor, but I am wondering if heat tape can be equally effective in the walls or ceiling.

Cages floor-to-ceiling in blueprints are all 12" tall except for the bottom; those are 20" tall. Foorprint is 48"x18". There will be two towers with a bolt-on corner piece (For moving and short walls); some snakes will get all 14ish feet of floorspace with basking zones on the outside ends while others will be divided off for 6 or 8 square feet of floorspace.

Species definitely to be kept are: Boa constrictor imperator, Baird's ratsnake, Baja Gopher snakes, Black Pine snakes, and Beauty snakes (still deciding subspecies).

Old 05-23-2015, 07:24 PM   #2
chrisis697
Yes i believe heat tape can be installed wherever you need it or however you need it. Certain species tho may due better with belly heat as opposed to back heat. I would look into species specifics when it comes to heat sources.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
LittleGrayTiger
Thank you! Very helpful. I will have to think about the mounting possibilities while I research the species' habits.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #4
suzuki4life
Heat tape is a live circuit covered by thin plastic. Resistance created in the flat crossovers generate heat. It should not be used inside a cage where it could be damaged. It should always have airflow to keep it from creating hot spots. And it should be regulated to below 94 degrees to keep the protective flim from breaking down. I have taped heat tape to the back of aquariums with success but that was external cage use.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!