Problems with Allisoni - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-25-2015, 12:00 PM   #1
Monk
Problems with Allisoni

I doubt if there are any Anolis Allisoni breeders on here , or other rarer anoles .
I have had a couple adult females die this year . They have gone from looking healthy one day then balled up on the bottom of the cage and passing away within 24 hours . I think both may have been gravid . Both in cages with [1]males . They got uvb rays ... maybe not everyday, [ too many cages not enough lights ] occasional peach baby food mixed with calcium and vitamin powder . Temps seemed okay .
Anyone have a problem such as this ? Any insight .

...... Yesterday while moving a young male Allisoni to another cage he became stiff and paralyzed looking , I thought it was a reflex so predators would go away . He looked dead . He had something protruding from the vent area , I do not know what it was . I thought he would be ok but he died within 12 hours . Scared to death ?
Any input would be appreciated .
Thanks

Old 05-25-2015, 03:54 PM   #2
E.Shell
Are they as sensitive to lightning bugs as are bearded dragons?

Old 05-25-2015, 04:14 PM   #3
Monk
I don't know about lightning bugs , I never felt comfortable giving those to my lizards . They have been feed crickets , bean beetles , mealworms and fruit flies .

Old 05-27-2015, 01:34 AM   #4
LauraB
I wish I knew more about those particular gorgeous anoles and their husbandry needs to help you, Louis. Sadly, I can't offer anything except perhaps a review of your tanks, heat (basking and ambient), substrate, UVB and feeders. A protrusion from the vent of your male sounds like a prolapse.

Are you certain you are feeding your colony non-toxic bean beetles? Some species are toxic. I know I don't have to tell you, Louis, but no, Ed Shell never, ever use lightning bugs or fireflies as feeders. Not for any reptile.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:08 PM   #5
Monk
The bean beetles came from a pet shop sold for dart frogs . Substrate is coconut bark .

Yes I believe it was prolapse . Thanks for your input .

Old 05-28-2015, 11:43 PM   #6
LauraB
Anolis Allisoni are so rare in the hobby (perhaps because like other anoles they don't fare so well in captivity). Your substrate should be good as long as it isn't wet, just moist.

There are tons of Anolis carolinensis where I live, and I've watched them for years. Heck, I've found them in my house, lol. I know they prefer to be off the ground, arboreal like my chams. Do your cages allow them that space and verticle perches?

I know they prefer feeding off the ground. Do you provide feeding cups in branches?

I know them to be mostly solitary. I don't really think they like sharing space. I've seen them come face-to-face and get stressed.

Surprisingly, I've also seen them come in numbers to my Humming bird feeders on my front porch and drink the nectar; it must benefit them in some way. I have a couple pics somewhere. Heck, maybe they would enjoy that.

You obviously need to provide UVB to every enclosure.

Where in the world did you acquire actual Cuban anoles? I would really hate to see yours die.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:29 AM   #7
LauraB
I found one ... they really do love the nectar. There must be a reason. Love the stink-eye he's giving me, lol.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #8
snowgyre
Louis, it is very difficult to tell just what killed your anoles. I suggest a necropsy. Anoles also don't live for very long, and the stress of capture and shipping of wild caught animals probably shortens their life spans. Anoles are very prone to stress. If you do get a necropsy done, please post the results here. I've been toying with the idea of getting into exotic anoles again but I am leery about purchasing the imported, wild caught individuals I've seen lately.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:01 PM   #9
E.Shell
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
.....I know I don't have to tell you, Louis, but no, Ed Shell never, ever use lightning bugs or fireflies as feeders. Not for any reptile.
Thanks for your warning/admonishment LauraB, but I do know that.

I did not even imply their use as feeders, so where that came from, who knows...

I only raised the question BECAUSE I know they are highly toxic to BDs and if his lizards are as sensitive to them as BDs, that could be the cause of the mysterious deaths. Lightning bugs seem to have come on pretty strong around here the last couple weeks, making them suspect in the fatalities above.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:02 PM   #10
E.Shell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
I don't know about lightning bugs , I never felt comfortable giving those to my lizards . They have been feed crickets , bean beetles , mealworms and fruit flies .
Lightning beetles are NOT feeders.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!