Snow in Houston! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:30 AM   #1
Lucille
Snow in Houston!

I went outside and there is around 1 1/2 inches of snow on the ground and my car has snow all over it! I have not seen this much snow in years! (Sure am glad I don't have to drive in it).

Old 12-08-2017, 10:35 AM   #2
WebSlave
Yuch! I'm watching the weather radar and seeing a very broad band of snowy weather on the backside of that rain front coming towards us from the west. Calling for a low of 30 degrees here on Saturday and Sunday nights, which is a small improvement over the 28 call they were making earlier for Sunday night.

I sure as heck don't want to see any snow here. EVER. But I have seen flurries that didn't stick to the ground every now and again over the years. Usually when it is cloudy and associated precipitation, that is enough to boost the temps at the ground level to above freezing.

Bring on the GLOBAL WARMING!!!

Old 12-08-2017, 11:10 AM   #3
Lucille
I'm staying inside, fixing oven baked ribs, home made bread, pinto beans, real cold weather food.
Do you have a way to warm your citrus trees if the snow stays on the ground?

Old 12-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
WebSlave
I'm only really concerned about the two new citrus trees we put into the ground several days ago, and the trees with fruits still on them. Generally citrus here will be OK as long as the temps don't drop down much into the low 20s or below. And some varieties are more cold hardy than others.

We have a bunch of larger tarps in the shed to cover the citrus when needed, as that is normally good enough to protect them. Putting a bed sheet between the plant and the tarp will help on especially cold nights because leaves touching the tarp can suffer some damage otherwise.

I don't think we really NEED to cover anything this weekend, but I don't have a whole lot of faith in the weather service giving an accurate forecast, so better to be safe than sorry.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:28 PM   #5
WebSlave
Well, I'm certainly glad that the precipitation we've been getting here the last couple of days is not snow. We would be eyeball deep in that white crap by now.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:53 PM   #6
CricketChitin
When do you poor southerners ever get to snowboard?

Old 12-10-2017, 11:50 PM   #7
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by CricketChitin View Post
Well, actually I get to snowboard absolutely every time I want to. Which, fortunately, is NEVER.......

Old 12-11-2017, 05:32 AM   #8
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by CricketChitin View Post
I lived up north for a while when I was a child, me and my sister and brother each had a little sled, and I would occasionally ice skate, but I have never skied or snowboarded.
On the other hand, my older half brother is an avid surfer, and I never got into that either.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:02 AM   #9
WebSlave
Snow in San Antonio, TX. Someone captured the moment using a drone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzlwR-Ee7Bs

Old 12-12-2017, 06:09 PM   #10
JColt
Man it snowed all day in city I work in. At home everything was covered but maybe an inch is all. 25 miles from where I work. If Lake Erie doesn't freeze I get hammered at the house. I live about 10 miles south of it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!