Best Dwarf Bci locality - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-18-2018, 11:08 PM   #1
Krj-2501
Best Dwarf Bci locality

I am seriously considering on getting a dwarf locality Bci as my next snake - and I am wondering which is the best.

Right now I am looking at and considering the following --

- Hog Island Boa
- Tarahumara Mountain Boa
- Sonoran Boa
- Caulker Cay Boa

So which of these is best to own and why?

Old 07-19-2018, 02:39 AM   #2
richardhind1972
Don't own any of the above but I have Nicaraguans and corn island nics, neither very big and girthy either, beautiful and pure rear to handle too, my fire bellied nic is great the way she changes colour so much and of course her red/pink belly is wicked too, both are 3 or nearly and under 5ft and not as thick as my wrist
Remember leopards /sonorian arnt very big either

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Old 07-19-2018, 05:47 AM   #3
richardhind1972
Sorry just noticed you mentioned sonorion

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Old 07-19-2018, 07:46 AM   #4
Randall Turner
I've had hogs and currently have Sonorans. I really like true pure Sonorans, they stay rather small (my 4 year old female is around 5' and my 4 year old male is around 4') I really like how they look, their pattern is bold and they have a lot of underlying colors that bleed through. They definitely are more high strung than some others, but if you work with them they are just fine to handle.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:54 AM   #5
JCCS
Hogs are not dwarf boas. They are typically smaller than Colombians, but they are not all that small. I love Caulker Cays. Corn Islands are another one of my favorites.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:40 AM   #6
bcr229
I have Tarahumaras. I like that I can keep them and they're fine in the same 41-qt racks as my ball pythons. OTOH because they are smaller-bodied they are excellent climbers, so if you put them in a larger enclosure or one with some height and give them perches, they will use every bit of the available space.

Attitude and care-wise they're BCI just in a smaller package. The biggest problem is remembering that just because they are small as adults does not mean they are still growing, and not to overfeed.

They do tend to be more defensive as I think their smaller size means that they instinctively know they are prey for large birds and other animals all their lives. Mine tend to not like being outside, where my larger boas are perfectly cool with checking out the various smells on the lawn. So, you do have to take that into account when handling them.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:04 AM   #7
richardhind1972
This is my female corn island 3in August g last when I weighed her she was 1435g and under 5ft,sweat she would eat every day if she could fine to handle too

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Old 07-19-2018, 04:44 PM   #8
Krj-2501
Quote:
Hogs are not dwarf boas.
From the online research I have done - definitely suggests that the Hog Island boas are considered to be a dwarf locality. Also it has been suggested that many of the larger (6-7 foot) Hogs are in fact either overfed individuals or Hog/mainland Bci crosses. As finding a pure blood Hog Island Boa can be some what problematic.

Quote:
They definitely are more high strung than some others, but if you work with them they are just fine to handle.
That is something I have heard about several different dwarf localities, may have in common. Still I doubt that they are as high strung as a F1-F2 Dwarf Burmese Python -
as they are Highly defensive.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #9
Krj-2501
I actually like the general look of the following localities -

- Hog Island Boas
- Tarahumara Mt. Boas
- Sonoran Boas
- Corn Island Boas
- Caulker Cay Boas
- Tamaulipas Boas
- Cancun Boas

Old 07-20-2018, 02:59 AM   #10
Krj-2501
Here is some of the basic info that I am getting from my online research.

Hog Island Boa - Pure blood females average about 5 feet/1.5 meters, males average about 4 feet/1.2 meters. An exceptional pure blood female may reach about 6 feet/1.8 meters. Generally quite beautiful in coloration and appearance. And tend to be quite docile in temperament(at least as adults).

Tarahumara Mt. Boa - tend to max out at about 4 feet/1.2 meters. Females tend to average about 40-42 inches, males average about 3 feet. One of the smallest BCi localities. Temperament tends to high strung and defensive as juveniles, but if worked with can be quite tame, docile as adults.

Sonoran Boa - tends to average about 5 feet/1.5 meters for females, while the males are about 4 feet/1.2 meters. Temperament is similar to Tarahumara Boas. Most other localities of Mexican Boas also are about the same size.

Caulker & Crawl Cay Boas - tend to max out at about 5 feet/1.5 meters for females, with the males maxing out about 4 feet/1.2 meters. Temperament seems to be more docile, and less high strung than the Mexican BCIs.

And most of the other dwarfs - also seem to be about 5 feet/1.5 meters maximum.