Bad Guy Kingsnake.com –Enabling Internet Fraud!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
JG1153
Exclamation Kingsnake.com –Enabling Internet Fraud!!!

This thread is in a way an extension to my previous thread about Dan Scolaro from DTS Herps and those unfamiliar with that thread should read it in order to fully understand what’s going on here. On the other hand this thread is very much about a separate and very important issue. Now for some basic background for this thread. Dan Scolaro of DTS Herps basically tried to very boldly scam me out of $1k. The FBI ended up getting involved and my money was eventually returned.

During the time I was trying to recover my funds or property I filed a complaint with Kingsnake.com letting them know how Mr. Scolaro was falsely advertising on the site, how he had scammed me out of $1k, and how he now at that very moment was attempting to do the same to other people by running another fraudulent ad. Within a few days of filing my complaint I noticed all the DTS ads had been removed so I thought WOW! Kingsnake really is committed to fighting scammers like they proudly say on the site, that’s good to know. Unfortunately once Mr. Scolaro was basically forced to return my funds. Kingsnake went ahead and unbloked Mr. Scolaro’s account instead of banning him from the site. They didn’t even bother asking me for any evidence to support my claim which I literally just about have any piece of evidence you could possibly want. When I inquired as to why Mr. Scolaro’s account was reactivated Kingsnake responded that since I had received my funds back the matter was closed and the merchant could continue about his business.

Here is this guy who without a shadow of a doubt and by his own admission is actively using the site to run scams and Kingsnake is just as willing to have him on the site as any of the best and most reputable merchants. This is unconscionable, just because Mr. Scolaro was pretty much forced to return my money isn't any kind of sign of good will. By allowing him back on the site Kingsnake is not only allowing but encouraging him and who knows how many others to continue this type of despicable behavior. I can only suppose that the reason for this to be money. Kingsnake profits from reputable and disreputable merchant accounts alike but they can’t profit from merchant who’s been banned from the site.

This sends a very clear, big, neon, colored message to Mr. Scolaro and all others of his kind that’s it’s ok to run scams off of the site just as long as when a buyer who is savvy, and willing enough to go through the proper channels is encountered the dispute is settled and then business can resume as before. Kingsnake very obviously doesn’t care because in all reality they make money of these scumbags just like they make money off of reputable merchants but no money is made from banning someone from the site and this is being done at the expense of all of us and to the detriment of the hobby and sound businesses practices.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
Tiger Lilly
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG1153 View Post
This thread is in a way an extension to my previous thread about Dan Scolaro from DTS Herps and those unfamiliar with that thread should read it in order to fully understand what’s going on here.
I, for one, would be happy to read the thread, but you neglected to post the link.
Not that I am advocating Kingsnake.com, but isn't that what free enterprise is all about? You have the CHOICE to do business on that site or not, depending on how strong your convictions are.
Personally, thanks to the BOI, and posts like yours, I can make well-informed decisions as to whom to do business with!

Note to registered users: if the BOI has helped you out in any way in making your informed decisions on whom you deal with, SUPPORT THE BOI and at least become a contributor! If it has saved you from dealing with less than reputable people in the reptile community, it has saved you money!
(Steps down from soapbox now...)

Old 03-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
Jerry_c_62
(Steps up on Troi's soapbox)

This site, and the B.O.I. specifically. Is one of the few ways to police the type of behaviour you mention (accurate or not). Once it is gone there will be one fewer options to fight this type of thing. PLEASE BECOME A CONTRIBUTING MEMBER AND HELP KEEP THE B.O.I. ALVIE AND WELL.

(Steps off of soapbox now)

Jerry Cross

Old 03-03-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
mike17l
Yeah, but KS.com should still try to protect its buyers, not it's crooks.

Not everyone who finds animals for sale on KS knows about the BOI.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
Jerry_c_62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike17l View Post

I can't disagree with anything you say.

Just in the interest of full disclosure, I have never done any business through KS so I have nothing good or bad to use as personal experience.

But to the best of my knowleadge there is nothing else like the B.O.I. out there, and if those who DO know about it and use it do not support it with membership and referrals the day is coming when it will no longer be availabel for anyone. JMHO.

Jerry Cross

Old 03-03-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
mikeyt
I check kingsnake out everyday, just to see what is out there. There are many reputable breeders on there and many that are not. I have never once purchased anything from Kingsnake, only due to the fact that most things listed are higher priced then you can find at any local show. Even reputable breeders that have things listed for a certain price, I have seen them at the show with the same animals for less. So why pay more plus shipping on top of it.

Also, I have heard through many forums and personal friends that Kingsnake will just take your money for advertising and never let you post, as well as just flagging for no reason. I dont have that kind of money to just give away with no return explanation. This business is tough enough. Again, I have heard many of the stories involving Kingsnake and their bad business practices. This is a clear example of "size does matter", Kingsnake is to big and to many people use it, for every one person dissatisfied, there are two more waiting o come onboard.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
mikeyt
So unfortuantely, I dont see them changing their practices, or anything being done by any agency in the near future.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
hhmoore
Just to add another perspective - call it defending KS, if you will - the decision to cancel advertisers over a complaint does not come easily. It basically means that whoever is in charge of making the decision is willing to serve as judge in matters where the "evidence" is 2 people saying 2 different things. Many have noticed, and commented on, the fact that "known bad guys" can post ads HERE...the home of the BOI. I'm pretty sure that Rich has stated that he is not willing to take responsibility for deciding if the complaints have merit, or how many complaints should lead to suspension of advertising privileges, and how numerous other things will factor in to the equation (ie. if the seller refunds or replaces after his advertising is cut off).

Old 03-03-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
WebSlave
I believe that this thread is jumping to an inaccurate conclusion. Failing (either by intent or neglect) to prevent fraud is NOT enabling or condoning such actions. And, in fact, anyone who claims to be preventing fraud by disabling persons from advertising on their site who APPEAR to be fraudulent may actually be taking on an enormous legal burden by the implication that all buyers are therefore safe from fraud by purchasing from sellers who ARE allowed to advertise there. That is an extremely risky position for anyone to take. I know I certainly will not do so, and I seriously doubt that Jeff Barringer is willing to take up that burden of risk as well.

Pretty much people need to take the stance of caveat emptor. Let the buyer beware. It is completely up to the buyer to do their homework and take every step possible to determine if they are making a wise decision. To leave this important factor of business completely in someone else's hands is pure folly, at best. To EXPECT someone else to do your homework for you, is unfair to demand of anyone, and pretty darn unrealistic as well.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
Tim Cole
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike17l View Post

Good luck with that!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!