Anyone see this ad on KS???? - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-09-2004, 09:58 AM   #71
Mustangrde1
There may in fact be a few vets actually still performing this alteration surgery. However the fast majority of the surgery can be traced to about 5 diffrent persons who ARE NOT VETS by any means. I still do not understand why websites allow these alterations to be sold without asking for proof of LEGAL surgery. My best guess is most do not care or the ones who charge for the right to use thier add space simply see the money as a factor and thus choose to overlook the facts and laws.

Morality to me and a higher since of obeying the law will not allow me to ever have them aloud on my site. Some say how can we as site owners verify it. Well its simple If JOE A wants to sell one on your site require them to in the same add place the name of the vet and date of surgery in the add. The law requires proper medical documentation of surgery. It is a simple way for site owners and the purchasing public to see that these animals were operated on by a licensed trained proffesional.

Any person who is not willing to provide that documentaion most likely is selling a garage hackjob. Simple requirements based on Law can help prevent many of these animals from being sold and even hacked. If you refuse to allow the criminals of the industry to have freedom they would be forced very quickly out of the industry. Potentially this will save both human and snake life.

Old 10-09-2004, 11:41 AM   #72
Ken Harbart
The decision on whether or not to allow ads isn't a matter of ethics, but rather one of civil law.

Should the owner/operator of a classified site choose to exclude the sale of a legal item (whether we like it or not, the actual sale of venomoids is generally legal), this leaves the door wide open to a successful civil action.

Likewise, requiring that vet info be posted in the ad would also constitute a discriminatory business practice. It puts us on the slippery slope of requiring that FL sellers verify their Class III, KY buyers verify their import permit, and so on and so forth.

To effectively stem the sale of venomoids, we need to get the matter before our respective state legislatures. The main obstacle there is that reptiles aren't warm and fuzzy, so enacting such legislation is a low priority for them.

As an aside...
I got your PM, Scott. I'll be shooting you an email later today, but I do want to sincerely thank you before I say or do anything else.

Old 10-09-2004, 11:57 AM   #73
Mustangrde1
Quote:
Likewise, requiring that vet info be posted in the ad would also constitute a discriminatory business practice. It puts us on the slippery slope of requiring that FL sellers verify their Class III, KY buyers verify their import permit, and so on and so forth.
Actually the way I read the Law in FL it is a requirement of the sale that proof be shown of the class 3 to sell in the state. As a fact many citations have been handed out for not providing such proof upon request. I may have mistaken how you ment that to come out. I just wanted to add the fact as I have read it and actually witrnessed citations issued.

Quote:
Should the owner/operator of a classified site choose to exclude the sale of a legal item (whether we like it or not, the actual sale of venomoids is generally legal), this leaves the door wide open to a successful civil action.
Ken so your saying a owner of a site can be held liable if he refuses to allow an item to be sold he may have beleive to have been { for lack of better words} created illegally. Simply requirring that a person to add who the vet was would not IMO constitute discrimination. In fact I beleive it follows the spirit of the law if not the letter of the law.

I am not the best on bussiness law. so any clarification would be great. I just can not imagine any court finding in favore of someone that they were discriminated upon by a provider in requiring them to give the proper medical documentation or refferanc to the legal surgery. I might be wrong

Old 10-09-2004, 02:48 PM   #74
Hognose_311
I 'm not going to give you the name or lacation of the vet, but i still dont see why no one pays attention to the fact that I did not perform the surgery i just wtached and held some tools, i dont want this argument to start up again...but im at my friends house right now and i don't have the book, but its not actually an entire book on venomoid legal procedures, it's a book called "venomous snakes". im not sure who the author is, but i rented it at the Chesterfield, VA local Library.

Old 10-09-2004, 09:27 PM   #75
psilocybe
Michael,

If your "vet" is legit, he has nothing to worry about. As Tanith said, no one is looking to get you or your vet in trouble...unless they aren't a vet. Any vet would be more than happy to talk to a concerned group of animal lovers and keepers about a potential medical and legal issue. If he isn't doing anything wrong, he has nothing to worry about. Your refusal to give us a name, or a means to contact this person cast a large amount of doubt on everything else you have told us. Again, as long as this person is legit, neither you or they have anything to worry about. So why are you insistent on hiding his identity?

Old 10-09-2004, 09:29 PM   #76
Hognose_311
Ill give you his name but does it matter if i have his permission or not?

Old 10-10-2004, 01:05 AM   #77
snakegetters
Frankly you'd be doing this vet a favor by letting us explain to him about the legal liability situation. He may not be entirely aware of all the ramifications of doing venomoid surgery.

I'd as soon have your vet talk directly to my vet; they can speak on a professional level, and my vet can share the research we have gathered and the papers from veterinary conference proceedings that are relevant to the subject.

Old 10-10-2004, 11:51 AM   #78
Hognose_311
yes or no, do i have permission to put his name online?>

Old 10-10-2004, 01:56 PM   #79
snakegetters
Legally you don't need permission to put anybody's name online if you are telling other people about them.

The vet might be mad if you put his name online and a bunch of people started yelling at him and acting like lunatics, but that's really not the plan here. I'd just like to make sure he has the opportunity to speak to another veterinarian who has done some research into this field.

Old 10-10-2004, 07:30 PM   #80
GinoInDaBronx
the vet

michael, please stop stalling. What is his name? We just want to talk to him about venomoid surgeries; if, in fact heb exists, that is.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!