OTHER Mice???? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 03-16-2003, 12:40 AM   #1
Glenn Bartley
OTHER Mice????

Hi All,

I am looking for information about other mice which would be suitable for breeding for use as herp food. By other rodents, I mean other than the House Mouse.

I am pretty much looking for House Mouse sized prey, although a bit larger or smaller would be ok. So far I have been considering:

Zebra Mice

Pygmy Mice

Nile Spiny Mice

Egyptian Spiny Mice

Deer Mice

I would appreciate other suggestions; and would also like to hear of your experiences with any of these varieties of mice to include: captive care, breeding, use as snake food, suitability as pets, availibilty from breeders, prices and so forth. I would particularly like to know which of these emit the least odor; one of the reasons I am seeking a substitute for the House Mouse is that House Mice are pretty darned stinky - especially those males. I am also hoping to produce mice that may be used for troublesome snakes when it comes to feeding or should I say their refusal to feed on House Mice.

Thanks

Best regards,
Glenn bartley

Old 03-17-2003, 08:46 AM   #2
meretseger
Pygmy mice

Pygmys don't smell, but they are TINY- about house mouse pinky sized. I've seen houseflies bigger than pygmy mouse pinkies! Have an aquarium net on hand to catch them if they get out- they run very fast and squish like bugs under too much pressure. Other than that they're pretty simple to keep. Snakes seem to like 'em. It's very fun to get them a little tiny wheel because it takes 4 of them to get it going.

Erin B.

Old 03-18-2003, 12:10 AM   #3
Glenn Bartley
The Pygmy Mice interest me more as an amusing project than as snake food, but they may be the thing for some smaller ior harder to start snakes. Thanks for the info.

Best regards,
GlennB

Old 03-18-2003, 01:29 AM   #4
E2MacPets
hmm.. sounds like it might be nice gecko food as well.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!