Guinea Pig question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 04-30-2003, 10:48 AM   #1
HerpVenue
Guinea Pig question

what do you guys think of Guinea pigs as a food item.
It might be a little too late since I like ordered 60 something of them.

but what are your opinions anyway

thank you

Old 04-30-2003, 12:00 PM   #2
Seamus Haley
It's passed around alot that there is a greater chance of impaction due to the density and structure of the hair...

And they might have a lot more hair than a rat or similarly sized rabbit, even the normal ones, but all this would do is delay the digestion a bit in most cases, if the guinea pig is appropriately sized as a prey item, it shouldn't really represent an impaction danger as far as I can see.

I've used them myself as feeder animals a few times, usually when other items were unavaliable or the guinea pigs were superabundant, fed 'em to a few burms, some good sized BCI and a 'tic with no problems at all.

The first time I tried it was with a good sized burm and a subadult guinea pig, ate it prekilled no problems at all, the defication was pretty normal looking although there was a bit more less digested hair than with a rat it was passed very easily. I found the guinea pigs to be pretty easy to prekill too, not inclined to bite, so you can simply give the neck a solid twist in an appropriate manner, head's bigger in proportion to the weight too, so the grip is more secure and the action cleaner.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!