Dumerils reproducing by Parthenogenesis - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-05-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
Planopets
Dumerils reproducing by Parthenogenesis

Need a little direction...

I have just recieved a 12 year old female Dumerils Boa that has been reproducing by parthenogenesis for the last 2 years. I have no way to PROVE this has been the case, but it sure seems worth exploring.

The snake was a pet and the family gave it up because they didn't want to deal with the hastle.

Does anyone out there have experience in this area or do you know who might be interested in this project?

-Chip
Plano Pets

Old 12-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
Warren_Booth
Hi,
Drop me an email/message. I would be interested in taking on this project. I believe I have been speaking to the previous owners of the snake back in November. What do you have from this group? The 12 year snake, and offspring? If you have offspring and the adult female can you sex the babies and send me shed skins from each of them, including the mother.

I recently published a paper documenting parthenogenesis in Boa constrictor, and am about to submit papers documenting parthenogenesis in two other serpents. I have the molecualr markers to carry out the DNA fingerprinting on this species.

Warren

Old 12-29-2010, 12:27 AM   #3
hupababy_83
Whoa whoa WHOA! Are you saying female boas can reproduce WITHOUT a male? Wtf?! Is it the rats ee feeding them, or what?

Old 12-29-2010, 01:44 AM   #4
Planopets
Dr Booth-

Yes, I believe this is the same snake you were speaking to others about. As far as I know, there is at least one other baby other than the ones I have from 2009. One of my customers has that yearling. I have the adult and 3 of her offspring from July 2010. 2 are being force fed and 1 is feeding on its own. All otherwise appear healthy. I will save the sheds as I get them for you. I have not probed any of them yet. I will get a friend of mine to help me verify the sex of the siblings. One thing I have recently learned is Dumerils do not probe as clearly different as red tails do, so I want to be extra certain.

I have e-mailed you. You can easily reach me through the store. Plano Pets

www.planopets.net

Old 12-29-2010, 03:04 AM   #5
hhmoore
So, is this meant to be a discussion on the topic of parthenogenesis, or are you trying to sell the snake (which is what it looks like)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!