What should I do? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-01-2005, 09:23 AM   #1
connorrm
What should I do?

Ok here is a sticky question, I am supposed to be buying a female 50% het BP. She is breeding size. I got her for 190 shipped. The price seems a bit low for me considering she is 1300+ grams. I haven't paid the guy yet he told me to take my time. But he keeps sending me emails that she was soaking for the last two days in her water dish and after she comes out he is going to see if he can get her to eat. Does this sound fishy at all? I know from time to time BP soak, but isn't it usually cause of Mites, or dehydration? The thing about trying to get her to feed kinda worries me as well. I am having second thoughts about buying her. Any input here would be great! I did put in a BOI post but nobody seems to know this breeder. His name is Eric White from Reptiles Exotics. Maybe I am just paranoid? Hopefully I posted this in the right place. Thanks for the help!

Old 02-01-2005, 09:52 AM   #2
snakebiteAZ1
Ball

Hello, is she wild caught or captive bred??? That would be the first thing i would find out, that will tell you alot just from that info.. Mike L.

Old 02-01-2005, 09:53 AM   #3
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I think you better ask some some more questions before you purchase.
How long has he had the snake?
Where did he get it?
Has it ever fed for him?
What and when was it's last feed?
If it is not CBB how can he know it's 50% het albino? (Hint~ if he says it's not CBB he CAN'T know it's a 50% het)
Has he adjusted the heat in his racks to cycle her?
Why does he think she is off feed?
Do her records for last year show her as going on a winter fast last year? What month did she resume feeding?

Good Luck!

Old 02-01-2005, 03:15 PM   #4
connorrm
He says that she came from Ian G. at outback reptiles and is captive bred.

Old 02-02-2005, 08:09 PM   #5
The BoidSmith
Ryan,

Have you asked Ian? Every now and then some of my ball pythons will like to soak although there are no mites on sight and the temperature of the enclosure is adequate. Preference?

Regards.

Old 02-07-2005, 09:36 PM   #6
BrianB
Soaking a lot can be several things:

1. Mites
2. Trying to cool off
3. Trying to hide, if no hidebox present
4. Dehydrated
5. About to shed
6. Some other source of skin irritation or something in the cage its trying to get away from, like smelly area from feces/urates that weren't cleaned sufficiently.
7. Just likes water?

I'd be a bit concerned if someone told me a snake they were selling was soaking for two days straight without offering an explanation. Most of the possibilities that spring to mind do indicate husbandry issues at the least. It's worth asking the seller about for sure, and not out of line to be concerned.

Old 02-08-2005, 07:15 AM   #7
MilkmanWes
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebiteAZ1
Hello, is she wild caught or captive bred??? That would be the first thing i would find out, that will tell you alot just from that info.. Mike L.

If she is WC how can she be guaranteed het for anything? I think since the genetics are discussed it is safe to assume it is CB or at least being sold as CB. If it is WC then this would be seller fraud, but that is far too much of an assumption to be making at this point.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!