New family member - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 01-21-2006, 11:01 PM   #1
crotalusadamanteus
New family member

Well, I broke down and got Myself another APBT.
I have been dogless for over a year now, and being a pitt bull fan, I saw this one in a pen with her mom while working, and the owner came out and did nothing but brag about what a great fighter her dad is, and what great fighters she will produce. Really sorta pissed me off.
Long story short, I talked him down to a hundred bucks, (that's what I had) and took her home. I couldn't let her end up a fighter, or a breeder for this purpose. This idiot actually got mad when I told Him she would be spayed, and turned into a spoiled rotten house dog, because I do not support fighting of dogs or roosters to satisfy peoples blood lusts.
Got Me a good little dog though. I have dubbed her Satanica. That is her attitude for the moment, it may change later on. She is nice and sassy, and already talking back to Me. (My kinda girl)

Well, hope you enjoy. I am sure I will once the habbits are taken care of. LOL

Rick

Old 01-21-2006, 11:49 PM   #2
ms_terese
Rick,

I understand your compassion for the little pup. I hope you go one step further and turn in the person who sold her to you. Even if your area isn't one to initiate investigations, you'll have done your part. It's horrific that he's making money by breeding fighting dogs

Since she is from fighting stock, I hope you take every possible measure to train her sufficiently. Even with exceptional care and obedience training, you're going to need to be extremely cautious. It's a shame, because it's not her fault.

Good luck with her! She really is beautiful, and I know she'll have a much brighter future and happier life because of you.

Old 01-22-2006, 08:51 AM   #3
crotalusadamanteus
Hi Terese,
Well, I've been down that road of turning them in. Unfortunately, here in Texas, it is perfectly legal to breed dogs and roosters for fighting purposes. You have to catch them in the act of fighting them to get anything done.

But I am with the local wildlife rescue org. and I have notified them, and Ramon Acosta, the director of the animal control out here. They know of it, but like I said, until they actually break the law, nothing can be done. Really sad, because of our close proximity to the Mexican border, they are often bred here, and taken over there to fight. Neither side will put a stop to it, it seems.

As for he training...........Of course. She is only 10 weeks right now though. I'll give her a month to adjust to what a house is, than I will begin in earnest. All My dogs have had the basic training. (Come, stay, sit, down, etc.) And I take measures to socialize them, especially the pits due to their nature. I had a pit once that I could call out of a fight just by saying her name. Found that out by accident one day. Cool huh.

Anyway, She is in good hands now. She is settling in and has informed Me that My seat is now hers. And man, she snored louder than Me all night. LOL

Thanks for the input.
Rick

Old 01-22-2006, 05:39 PM   #4
dragonflyreptiles
She is adorable! I love pitts too!

Old 01-22-2006, 07:57 PM   #5
crotalusadamanteus
Thanks Wendy. I always told Myself that My next one would be another Mastino, but.........Hey, what can I say? LOL
A couple more pics.

Enjoy...
Rick

Old 01-23-2006, 09:47 AM   #6
Cat_72
She is beautiful. You can see it in her eyes, she was meant for so much more than what her "breeder" had in mind for her.

Pit Bulls are wonderful dogs, so loving, so misunderstood. We no longer have one, because we feared for THEIR safety. Yes, they were well trained and socialized.....but it seems too many just don't understand them, fear them for no rational reason. Every town around me has banned them.....for no reason. In fact, a wonderful young man moved here last spring with his 2 Pit Bulls....they were very well trained, very friendly, and he was a RESPONSIBLE owner. They told him he had to get rid of them....he quit the job he moved here to take, packed up and left. If only more people cared so much for their animals.....

Good for you, Richard.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:50 AM   #7
crotalusadamanteus
Thanks Cathy. I know they are great dogs. This will be My sixth one. It is a shame they are starting to outlaw them in so many places due to people fighting them.
She has already begun her social lessons. That's a key ingredient to a good pit bull. IMO I have decided to go with Satanica, and Sati for short. (long A)

Ciao,
Rick

Old 01-25-2006, 09:24 AM   #8
Cat_72
Sati, I really like that!!

We took ours to "official" obedience classes as well as the typical home training we do. We took them as much for the people we saw there as for the dogs themselves, I guess we used them as a sort of "good will ambassador". The first class we went to, the fisrt thing we were asked was if we thought she would need a muzzle....ARGH. But our Rainy finished at almost the top of her class....the only thing she just couldn't master in that first session was the proper "finish" on her recall. But she did manage to make a lot of friends there, 2 and 4 leggers.

If we could just educate more people.....but too many people are all too happy ignorant of what wonderful dogs they are. My Mom was scared of Pit Bulls until she met the big brindle boy my ol man had when I first met him....after that, she was sold on them, lol. Sometimes, that's all it takes!

I'm sure glad Sati found a wonderful "Dad" to appreciate and love her!

Old 01-25-2006, 10:59 AM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
I am all for the education, but like you said, they are too happily ignorant. Out here it is a bad problem for most of the people out here feel....... "they are just animals" like no feelings or individual personalities or any of the things that make them family if given the right conditions.

As for training, My mom used to obedience train and show her Australian shepards, so I picked up enough growing up to do most on My own. I do have a friend with a training school though. Actually, he just left town to go pick up his new rottie pup. Maybe I'll talk to him about training the two together.

Anyway, thanks for the nice comments. She's already in my heart, so that's all she wrote. LOL

Rick

Old 01-25-2006, 11:19 AM   #10
dragonflyreptiles
I used to show my Rotties and I took a few of them to classes but I found that I knew more from reading books and the shows obedience trials than they taught for $250.

Ill wait and see if we have ny problems with ours, if we do them Ill get a trainer but so far sheis pretty good. Didn't even hear her make a noise other than snoring all night for over a week. She goes with us to take Cody to school and pick him up mostdays and she loves that lol

Isn't it funny how 1 lookinthe eyes can steal your heart away!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!