Horror beyond words... puppy deaths - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:03 PM   #1
Golden Gate Geckos
Horror beyond words... puppy deaths

I can barely function, and need to express my feelings about what happened. We have 2 black miniature schnauzers, 5-year old Jet (US Champion) and 3-year old Star (champion lines). Last year we bred them, and it she produced only one puppy which was defective and stillborn. We bred them again in March, and Star gave birth to 5 pupplies on Sunday, all perfectly formed.

We were there when she had them all, and I let her eat the first puppy's placenta even though I cut the membrane and umbilical cord. The second puppy was stillborn. The third puppy came, and Star did a pretty good job cleaning it. She had a very hard time delivering the fourth puppy, and it stayed in her birth canal for nearly 10 minutes. When it finally came, it was a huge puppy but we could never get it to breathe. Finally, the fifth puppy came, and Star did every thing right.

We had three healthy, squirming, little black schnauzer puppies, two females and one male!

We cleaned up all the mess, and got the whelp box all set up with a heating pad on half of the floor and lots of old towels and a blanket. Star was still licking all the puppies when we decided to go to the kitchen and eat, which would leave the new 'mommy' alone with her puppies.

About 15 minutes later, I just wanted to check on Star and the babies to make sure they all had found nipples to nurse on. At first, I looked in the whelp box and only saw one puppy, and then I saw Star about 4 feet away. She was eating something!?! When she turned her head, her entire face was dripping with blood, and there were entrails hanging out of her mouth. I saw a puppy's severed head laying at Star's feet in a pool of blood.

I started screaming. I couldn't stop. I just kept screaming. I grabbed the last puppy and put it in my shirt, next to my heart so it would be warm and be able to hear me breathing. I just kept screaming, and I don't remember much else after my husband Glenn, came.

I have been bottle feeding this little puppy every 2 hours since Sunday at 7:00 PM. I am so traumatized by this I cannot even look at my beloved Star. I can't get the image of her face and the bloody carnage out of my head.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:06 PM   #2
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Gate Geckos
I can barely function, and need to express my feeling about what happened. We have 2 black miniature schnauzers, 5-year old Jet (US Champion) and 3-year old Star (champion lines). Last year we bred them, and it she produced only one puppy which was defective and stillborn. We bred them again in March, and Star gave birth to 5 pupplies on Sunday, all perfectly formed.

We were there when she had them all, and I let her eat the first puppy's placenta even though I cut the membrane and umbillicle
Marcia, did something happen to them? If so, I am so very sorry.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:16 PM   #3
coyote
Can you share the rest of the story?
Did they all die?

Old 05-23-2006, 03:37 PM   #4
Lucille
Oh Marcia, how awful. ((((Marcia))))) I am so very, very sorry. What a shock, I do not know what could have happened.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:37 PM   #5
Golden Gate Geckos
...sorry, I hit the wrong key and it posted. I edited the original post.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:42 PM   #6
techgirl
Marcia I am so sorry that you had to experience that and those poor babies had to die. Sounds like Star lacks the maternal instinct to care for them. There is always a possibility that something may have been wrong with the pups that she sensed. Unfortunately I have seen mother dogs attack their own young for no reason. Good luck raising your littlest survivor.

Old 05-23-2006, 04:31 PM   #7
Traci1
Quote:
Originally Posted by techgirl
There is always a possibility that something may have been wrong with the pups that she sensed.
I was just thinking the same thing. Since you've had back luck with two breedings now, perhaps that is a sign that those two aren't suitable for breeding together. Perhaps some kind of genetic defect pops up with that cross...maybe the mom sensed it and she figured the pups would die anyway?
When I was younger I experienced something similar, except with barn kittens. They had been slaughtered by tom cats I'm assuming to bring the female back into heat quicker. Different scenario of course, but I can relate to how you are feeling, as that was one of the most horrid things I had ever seen.
I'm sorry for what happened to the puppies.

Old 05-23-2006, 04:43 PM   #8
dragonflyreptiles
Marica, I am so so sorry, that is a horrible thing to go through and I hate you had to see her like that. Your love for her will pull through for you, it may take a few days but I think you will be able to look at her again and maybe not see that image stuck in your head.

I hope the one you saved does good for you.

Old 05-23-2006, 04:57 PM   #9
Xelda
What a horrible experience. I feel for you, Marcia. But don't forget that Star is your baby too.

Old 05-23-2006, 05:00 PM   #10
coyote
Oooh! Harsh.

I witnessed the same behavior in a Boston Terrier bitch. She had been brought into the hospital for dystocia. She was very young and it was her first litter. She eviscerated two pups before we noticed what was going on. We were able to save two. The owners were strongly encouraged to spay her and strongly discouraged from breeding her again.

It is an extremely difficult behavior to comprehend. I think it is most likely that the mother isn't "wired" to properly care for puppies. Pups that are saved and hand raised tend to be physically normal.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!