Wild Wild West - Part 2 - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 09:18 AM   #51
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
As far as I'm aware, this is totally different than the system used on Craigslist.
On Craigslist, posts are actually removed by community effort; the similarity is that there have to be a number of people working together to effect a change.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:23 AM   #52
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille
On Craigslist, posts are actually removed by community effort; the similarity is that there have to be a number of people working together to effect a change.
Being a "group effort" is the only slight similarity I see to anything done on Craigslist.....nothing else is remotely the same, lol.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:41 AM   #53
Stardust
I agree with you Cat although I made my comments on it in the thread I started as I believe, if reading this correctly, Rich wants this thread for suggestions on rules mainly.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:15 AM   #54
hhmoore
I had a couple of questions when I was reading through this last night (and earlier this morning)...unfortunately, they have left me for the time being.
Can we zap people in chat?

Should be interesting to watch.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:25 AM   #55
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
I had a couple of questions when I was reading through this last night (and earlier this morning)...unfortunately, they have left me for the time being.

Should be interesting to watch.
ahahaha!! thats just awsome! Id like this feature as well!

Old 01-15-2007, 11:30 AM   #56
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille
I am curious as to whether this application has been used in other online communities besides Craigslist?
My programmer mentioned that something similar to what I proposed to him is being used on another site and is apparently being successfully applied there. I don't remember if he gave me a link to it or not.

As for Craig's List, I think I have only been there once, and only to look around at the structure of the site. So I can't comment too much on the ebb and flow of posts and members there.

In the case of this site, having members have the capability of removing post, especially in the BOI, which is where I think most of the issues will arise, is obviously not a feasible plan. Besides, that only addresses the symptoms and not the cause of the problems. How long would a group of people continue doing that before being overwhelmed with frustration at the futility of their efforts and just give up trying?

Here I am asking you all what rules do you want to have enforced, and then am giving YOU the power to help enforce those rules at the root of the problem. This will no longer be MY own doing, which many people feel is lacking in effectiveness. So I am giving you all the opportunity to show me how you would do it any better than I have been doing. SHOW ME how easy it is to do, please.

And yes, to some people, this may very well be the equivalent of handing them a rope to wrap around their own neck. If you abuse the system, you could very well get enough points in retaliation to get yourself booted out of here because of it. The power will most CERTAINLY be implicit within the system.........

Old 01-15-2007, 11:35 AM   #57
Mooing Tricycle
Im copying this from the other thread on this subject.

I personally, dont think peoples names should be attached to the Bad Points, or whatever were calling them, Peer points? This only Drives people to target the one person who sent it in the first place and get their "posse's" to gang up. It should be anonymous, this way, noone can be singled out except for the person who actually broke a rule.

I also agree with the limit on how many times you can be punished for breaking one rule.

How long with the rep points last for? will they fade over time, or will they eventually, just build up and build up even after years and years of posting and remaining civil?

Old 01-15-2007, 11:36 AM   #58
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle

How long Will the rep points last for? will they fade over time, or will they eventually, just build up and build up even after years and years of posting and remaining civil?
Edit*

Old 01-15-2007, 11:38 AM   #59
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
Well, no, not exactly. But I guess I should consider a warning point for that as well.

One of the snags in this system is that it is a post oriented system. In other words, as written, it was designed to apply warning points based on an actual post someone has made on this site. That makes it difficult to apply this system to rule infractions that are not based on a post made within a forum. The drawback to non-post infractions is that the inherent auditing system will not be available for someone to easily determine if there is abuse taking place. So there is the possibility that when the final edition hits the presses, those types of warnings will NOT be included in the system for that reason. That, of course, would mean that I would have to remove "Warning system abuse" as well, which does have some positives associated with it as well as negatives. Certainly it may make things cleaner in that it would likely reduce retaliatory warnings somewhat.

But that is what this thread is about. For me to use you all as a sounding board to figure out what sort of enforceable rules are logical and reasonable to have YOU try to enforce here.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:42 AM   #60
Stardust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
Im copying this from the other thread on this subject.

I personally, dont think peoples names should be attached to the Bad Points, or whatever were calling them, Peer points? This only Drives people to target the one person who sent it in the first place and get their "posse's" to gang up. It should be anonymous, this way, noone can be singled out except for the person who actually broke a rule.

I also agree with the limit on how many times you can be punished for breaking one rule.

How long with the rep points last for? will they fade over time, or will they eventually, just build up and build up even after years and years of posting and remaining civil?
I rather like the idea of people who give points to be accountable for their actions and reasoning. As Rich and the mods were accountable so should we if this is going to work. It may also deter people from just giving points when they are upset and possibly make them think about what they are doing before they do it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread