Warning Points System Mod - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 12:16 AM   #11
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgait
Just a thought Rich but maybe lower the number of warnings that a person can give out per day... Sort of like the Karma system is now, you have to choose wisely so as not to waste it before you really need it... Randy
Well, my reasoning behind this is that with less than 50 people (at this point) capable of using the warning system, the chances of abuse AGAINST any one member is greatly diminished. That is really what I had that option programmed in for, but currently I don't think it will be that big of a problem, under the circumstances. Someone being diligent MAY actually be able to find 10 legitimate warnings to place in a day's time, but I think they would be really pushing it. Of course, someone being over zealous in such a pursuit could actually be a problem as well, in which case, yes, I will have to reduce that number to compensate.

The warning system is kind of a real time guidance system for moderators and others to use to guide members into following the rules. Often times, the quicker the warnings are used, the sooner someone will recognize what is expected of them. Giving someone the capability of ONLY using two warnings in a 24 hour period may limit them unduly to where they will delay giving the points until that period has almost elapsed. In the meantime, someone violating the rules could have made dozens of further posts that are also in violation of the rules, not realizing that it is unacceptable behavior. For instance, some really active threads on the BOI could have a hundred posts or more made within that timeframe, nearly all of them placed under heated circumstances. It would be MUCH better to catch things early on, I think.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:28 AM   #12
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
Someone being diligent MAY actually be able to find 10 legitimate warnings to place in a day's time, but I think they would be really pushing it.

In the meantime, someone violating the rules could have made dozens of further posts that are also in violation of the rules, not realizing that it is unacceptable behavior.
There's always the oddball who decides to respond to a warning by immediately generating more of the same warning too... Seen it more than a few times, individuals that seem to really believe that just a little more abusive profanity will somehow cow the moderators into retracting all those earlier abusive profanity warning points. Not entirely sure how the logic works but it's a common enough behavior to warrant leaving the warnings open ended.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:34 AM   #13
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
I counted up that number the other day. I think it is around 30 to 40 or so in those two groups.
OK, so let's assume that each of those averages five visits per week to the site (some rarely come, some are here every day) and of those, two thirds actually bother to use the system with any regularity. I don't see a lot of Colt 45's around under those assumptions. You will either need a larger posse or bigger bullets to have any real effect, unless people are willing to fork over $100 for the privilege. When you consider that a dozen or so of those 30-40 were upgraded by virtue of their moderator status here, I doubt that many will be willing to do so (though I could be wrong).

Old 01-20-2007, 12:50 AM   #14
varnyard
Well, if I remember right I think mine is up in March. I will be more than glad to pay my $100.00 right now. Will that work Rich, or do I need to wait until it gets closer to ending?

Old 01-20-2007, 12:52 AM   #15
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O
When you consider that a dozen or so of those 30-40 were upgraded by virtue of their moderator status here, I doubt that many will be willing to do so (though I could be wrong).
I paid in full for the Endowment Membership that just expired, beforehand. I already gave my word to Rich that I would renew it before this whole topic even came about. I will keep my word and renew my membership within my own timeframe. This topic has little consequence to that.

Old 01-20-2007, 01:00 AM   #16
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O
OK, so let's assume that each of those averages five visits per week to the site (some rarely come, some are here every day) and of those, two thirds actually bother to use the system with any regularity. I don't see a lot of Colt 45's around under those assumptions. You will either need a larger posse or bigger bullets to have any real effect, unless people are willing to fork over $100 for the privilege. When you consider that a dozen or so of those 30-40 were upgraded by virtue of their moderator status here, I doubt that many will be willing to do so (though I could be wrong).
How will that be any worse than the 3 moderators and myself who were sporadically manning the warning points previously?

Let's say there are really only 20 members who CAN utilize the warning points. With 10 each "bullets" in their guns, that is a total of 200 potential rule infractions that could possibly be caught and the poster alerted about. Personally I don't read a fraction of the posts myself, and I seriously doubt the site moderators can do any better with their own time constraints. So if even ONE member pitches in, even one warning put to good cause will be better than NONE, don't you think?

Just to make things clear here, this conversation is ABOUT the settings I have listed in the first post. I will not allow this thread to go down the road that the last one did. So if the intent here is to further discuss the whys and whats of this system in general, this is just not open to discussion. If anyone has any questions about those topics, you are requested to check THAT particular thread for details.... (http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=94060)

Old 01-20-2007, 10:26 AM   #17
DAND
Will there be a place for comments to be left like with the other warning point system? Like the other system, will it be visible for all to see who left the warning and the comments?

Old 01-20-2007, 10:30 AM   #18
DAND
Oh yeah, how about warning points for trolling?

Old 01-20-2007, 10:33 AM   #19
Cat_72
"Obvious trolling"....

Yep, I think that needs to be on there.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:45 AM   #20
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND
Will there be a place for comments to be left like with the other warning point system? Like the other system, will it be visible for all to see who left the warning and the comments?
Yes. Whenever someone assesses warning points, there is a prompt for an optional comment to elaborate on why the warning point was placed. And I have this set to be visible to everyone that is within those membership groups shown in the admin page screen shot.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread