Jamaican Boas Breeding - Page 53 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-09-2015, 02:38 PM   #521
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GillianC View Post
Really happy to hear this year's group is being more cooperative, particularly after their rather eventful start. I hope to read continued success! I might want a mate for Harper
Definitely. We will need to ascertain Harper's sex first (I would guess female based on eating history, but wouldn't bet the farm on it), and wait for the new babies to be old enough to probe, but drop me a line around the 3 month mark.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:56 PM   #522
Helenthereef
Really good news on the easier feeding - I certainly felt for your pains over the previous litter!

Old 10-11-2015, 10:38 PM   #523
toddnbecka
This bunch of babies figures you're already broken in on the feeding, they'll have to find something else to aggravate you with... lol.
Have any more of the escapees turned up?

Old 10-12-2015, 05:56 AM   #524
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Really good news on the easier feeding - I certainly felt for your pains over the previous litter!
Haha. Thanks. I was quite relieved to see they all started eating so quickly. I'm tempted to offer pinkies early to see if any of them take. Either way, I'm hoping this will make for a somewhat less labor intensive year than last.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:58 AM   #525
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
This bunch of babies figures you're already broken in on the feeding, they'll have to find something else to aggravate you with... lol.
Have any more of the escapees turned up?
Well, I hope the great escape was all they came up with. I'd hate to see them try to beat that. Haha. No, no others have turned up yet. There should still be about 4 unaccounted for, but I'm hoping that now that they've started eating, the last remaining ferals will start to get more restless and make themselves known.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:02 AM   #526
Snakesitter
I wonder if it also has to do with moving around and/or space to range? I seem to recall you commenting last year that the escapees had better appetites than the captives….

Old 10-12-2015, 09:25 AM   #527
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesitter View Post
I wonder if it also has to do with moving around and/or space to range? I seem to recall you commenting last year that the escapees had better appetites than the captives….
This thought did occur to me, but the vast majority of these guys were captured by the first day. In addition, the one that did not get loose ate with all the rest.

Another thing is that I'm fairly certain I had assumed reverse causality last year. While the four escapees were among the best eaters, giving the problem eaters space to range for a while did almost nothing to help their appetites. Instead of escaping helping appetite, I think it was the babies who were already the strongest who were the ones who were active enough to escape from the cage. That theory would also hold up with this year, as every single one of the babies took the opportunity to work themselves out of that tiny crack, whereas, if any of them were a little weaker, they likely would have still bin inside the tub the next morning.

Also, good news this morning. I found another baby. This one was also coiled up on the network router. That has been a popular area so far. Presumably, I have three left to catch.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:51 AM   #528
cguarino30
Feeding update:

E3, H3, H5, H6, N1, N2, and N3 were each fed a quail chick. H3 and H6 declined.

E2, and N4 were each given a fuzzie mouse and ate. T3 was offered two pinkies and declined. I am going to try to give T3 a chick thigh, soon, as I'm concerned about the length of this fast.

H4 was fed two chick thighs and ate both. I think I will probably just stick with this as it is clearly her preference, especially since the new babies are proving to be exceptionally easy.

Speaking of the new babies, all but 2 were fed a chick thigh each and ate it. As an experiment, I gave two of them a pinkie mouse and they declined. No huge surprise, there. I might try a scented pinkie on another random two next week just to see what happens. I did not try to feed the injured one, but may try in a few days.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:04 PM   #529
cguarino30
I took the opportunity last night to feed the two babies I experimented on and the injured baby a chick thigh each. The injured one did not eat. The other two did.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:44 PM   #530
Snakesitter
Good news on the two. Fingers crossed on the third.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!