Draco volans (Flying Dragons) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-08-2005, 12:41 AM   #1
Intense Herpetoculture
Draco volans (Flying Dragons)

Well, I'm happy to say that I think this is the year I'm finally going to establish a group of Dracos!!! On Friday I hand-picked some Dracos at a local importers, I usually would have to order them sight unseen from FL. Crap would usually arrive, and I would start to have problems to then tackle from the start. Seems like this time I have 12 (2.10) Draco volans that are going to survive without a problem! Each one is eating and drinking up a storm. Not to mention how active they are. Constently giving wing/dewlap "signals" to each other and jumping all around the branches. I currently have them seperated out in 10 gallon aquariums, but I think I'll move them into large screen cages as time goes on. Several of the females are currently gravid, and I did see one scratch around in the peat moss this morning. Looks like I'll be getting some eggs soon! Have my hands crossed that they are fertile. I've been working with this genus for quite some time, and each year I've gotten closer to establishing these guys! Hopefully I'll pick a few more up short, including more males. I wasn't too sure on the species, but I keyed them out to Draco volans. I'll post pics and more info as it comes along.
Thanks
Justyn

Old 02-08-2005, 11:53 PM   #2
Intense Herpetoculture
Well, I now have 9 eggs incubating. Wish me luck!

Old 02-09-2005, 12:34 PM   #3
Boidaddic14
Did You get them from US Globel?

Old 02-09-2005, 02:09 PM   #4
Intense Herpetoculture
Yep, got them from US Global Exotics, hand picked by myself.

Old 02-09-2005, 02:49 PM   #5
Manhattan Herps
good luck justyn, draco's are awesome, gonna let any babies go when the eggs hatch?

Old 02-09-2005, 03:28 PM   #6
Intense Herpetoculture
I doubt I'll let any babies go until I get a colony of about 350 breeding adults going. Sounds high, but I really want to establish these guys in captivity before I sell any of them off.
Thanks
Justyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokay_Dude
Good luck justyn, draco's are awesome, gonna let any babies go when the eggs hatch?

Old 02-10-2005, 02:47 PM   #7
Manhattan Herps
yeah, i heard they were pretty hard to keep in captivity huh?

looks like your doing an awesome job though, keep up the great work

Old 02-10-2005, 06:19 PM   #8
Intense Herpetoculture
They are difficult to keep, but I believe that if you start out with healthy CBB specimens they will prove extremely easy to keep and breed. Only time will tell! I currently have nine eggs in the incubator and several more females will lay shortly. The next trick is inubation, and after that, successfully raising the newborn dracos to sexual maturity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokay_Dude
yeah, i heard they were pretty hard to keep in captivity huh?

looks like your doing an awesome job though, keep up the great work

Old 02-10-2005, 08:12 PM   #9
Bringerofdoom
good luck.

Old 02-11-2005, 02:24 AM   #10
Manhattan Herps
i wish you all the best with them Justyn

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!