Incubator DIES...UPDATE:ALL ARE OUT AND HEALTHY!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
JustChad04
Incubator DIES...UPDATE:ALL ARE OUT AND HEALTHY!!!

Last night I did my routine of checking the eggs to circulate the air, and was overjoyed at seeing little shadows moving around when I candled them. Then when i check them this morning the Incubator was at 76 degrees!

Eggs this morning were 80.3 degrees, I guess I didnt shut the door properly and the Incubator overheated and shutdown. To catch you guys up to help me determine a plan of action, I have 4 eggs, 2 have dimpled and wrinkled. All 4 are moving around inside and were still warmer than the ambient temperature in the incubator as I mentioned before. For now I sealed the lid of the tub they are in with plastic wrap and sat them on the heating source to my BP rack (a FB rack that has the heat tape on the underside of a metal plate) which is set at 90 deg and they have 1'' of vermiculite with them.

When I get home hopefully the Incubator is working again, but in the mean time any suggestions for what I should do? Little worried about them, I didnt get a chance to candle them this morning since I was already late for work and I am active duty so being late is not a good thing lol.

Thanks for any replies ahead of time

Old 05-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
Diego Velarde
Seems like you did the right thing. I would have done the same, put the egg box in the warm end of a rack system and set the t-stat to 90.
Reset the incubator when you get home. Hopefully everything is good.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
Focal
I agree. That's what I would have done if I didn't have a backup incubator.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
JustChad04
Good to know I did the right thing for the time being. Will try resetting it when I get home. Just hope they warm up a bit.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
R. Eventide
Sounds like you did a good thing, there. I'd be careful of the eggs on the heat source, though. For one, they could easily get too hot, especially if the thermostat probe is on the rack somewhere and not in the egg bin. Also, you don't want them to warm back up to 90 too quickly. Rapid changes in temp will harm the eggs more than the temp itself.

When the incubator gets going again, set it for the temp the eggs are currently at and then slowly raise the temp back up to where you want it.

I accidentally turned off my dinky little Hovabator last year when I went to bed one night and found the eggs in the low 80s the next morning. I turned the incubator back on with the temp set low and slowly turned the heat back up to 89. The babies hatched just fine.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
john33
Cut them and try to keep them 85-90. In 3 days they'll crawl out. Don't worry at all you've already done the most part. There not as sensitive as most think...

Old 05-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
RobNJ
I agree with John...keep them on your rack and cut them. If they developed into healthy babies up to this point, they should be fine.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
GREGORY J HALL
dont cut them!!!!!!! throw them in the rack & let them hatch!

Old 05-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
JustChad04
UPDATE:

Well looks like sticking them on the rack helped. When I got home they were at the right temp of 89 degrees, and still humid. Messed with the incubator and got it working again, just to be sure I checked it every hour after i had the temps stable in it again. Candled all the eggs and they all moved so looking good.

Phew!

Still think I should cut or just leave them alone? 2 Eggs still have not dimpled and to my suprise one of them might be twins!

Thanks for all that replied to help!

Old 05-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
GREGORY J HALL
I dont like to cut, only time I cut is when a few others pip.some people do it all the time I dont. I lost a clutch cutting at day 55 so i dont do it anymore till they pip may have been something wrong or just bad luck but the eggs did not hatch babies drowned in their fliud.that was a few years ago havent had any proplems since.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!