Info UPS Shipping (They dont have a clue) - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:58 PM   #21
spyder79
take the time and do the leg work to be a certified fedex live animal shipper it is the best and safest way.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #22
paulWTAMU
see, my only bad experiences have been with FedEx. I guess it varies locally--some locations suck, some don't. I've had fedex just *leave* a live animal package at the door without knocking or anything (that was some time ago). And they showed up at 6pm with a snake that should have been here before 10:30am last year...that was aggravating. Not the sellers fault in either case. The one last year was really annoying because it came from bob clark--and he lives about 5 hours drive from me, so I don't know what took Fedex over 24 hours from the time they had the snake...

Old 11-11-2009, 11:45 PM   #23
InTheMud75
Having worked for UPS while going to college, I can tell you that I'm not shocked about packages getting sent to the wrong location. All packages, whether ground or overnight, get unloaded at each hub and then handled to be determined where to be shipped next. Each time they get handled, it creates the possibility of the item getting missorted.

In addition, at the speed that the whole system goes (unloading, sorting, reloading) there usually isn't any time to read anything on the package other than the zip code. On average, I think each sorter probably missorted one or two packages a week. If I remember right (over ten years ago), sorting close to 1000 items a shift was normal.

What's even worse, is that small packages get grouped together in nylon bags according to where they are being shipped. These nylon bags (containing several small packages) get handled worse than the normal sized boxes do. If you ship in a small box, say 6" x 10" or smaller, they will be placed into the small sort nylon bags. If one of these bags are mislabeled, all of the boxes in the bag will go to the wrong location.

With that though, I had a friend who worked for FedEx and he says the same things happened there. I think for the most part, your packages will arrive safely and on time with either service. Just know that the people handling and sorting your packages are getting paid a little over minimum wage and are trying to go as fast as possible.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:27 AM   #24
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulWTAMU View Post
I've had fedex just *leave* a live animal package at the door without knocking or anything (that was some time ago).
Fedex almost never knocks, thats why an email to your customer the day before telling them it will be there is so important.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:38 AM   #25
bradleymoore
i'm glad everything came out well. i've got a couple high dollar ones coming in and hope i don't have the same problem.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:52 AM   #26
jenkznza
One thing to keep in mind with the drop and run routine most shippers pull is that if there is a "release of signature" on file for your location they are not required to have you sign. You may not of set up the release of signature. It could have been the previous home owner or tenant. Its best to call and have the signature release removed.

I've had bad ships with both FedEx and UPS. We used UPS to ship over 200 packages this year. We had one DOA and two handling mishaps. The first the driver didn't know he had the package and the second was left at the warehouse. Both were rectified. Now last year I shipped a package to arrive in Las Vegas on December 23rd. The box went from here to Louisville, Ky to Rockford, IL to Sacramento, CA to Louisville, KY and arrived in Las Vegas, NV on December 26th. The Dragons were well traveled, but otherwise fine. Needless to say we won't ship around Christmas this year!

I've had similar problems with FedEx and DHL was a nightmare. I'm glad to here that your Boa arrived well Kevin.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:26 AM   #27
DD Reptiles
One thing I found out awhile ago when I had a package lost by UPS, when tracking your package it only shows where your package SHOULD BE at that given time, not exactly where it is.

Since they move the boxes in large pallets with numerous other packages, they only scan the pallet and then that updates the system, so if your package somehow fell off that pallet in Miami, but that pallet gets shipped to Louisville (the major hub for the east coast) then it will still show your package was shipped top Louisville when they scan the pallet in.

This is what an actual UPS employee told me last year when I had a box of geckos lost for 3 days in the system. Turns out the geckos had been sitting in the origin hub the entire time, even though according to UPS tracking they were at my local hub.

I also have been hearing the last week or so, there have been a lot of problems with the Louisville Hub, such as mechanical problems with the planes.

Thanks Derek

Old 11-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #28
Rock Star Reptile
Ok how or where do I become a certified FedEX shipper?

Old 11-12-2009, 12:09 PM   #29
Kaminoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Star Reptile View Post
Ok how or where do I become a certified FedEX shipper?
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=33533

Old 11-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #30
TripleMoonsExotic
Or for the quick instructions without all of the discussion...
http://triplemoonsexotic.com/article...certification/

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
shipyourreptiles, syr