LEARN TO SPELL!!!!!! GAH! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
maggie22195
LEARN TO SPELL!!!!!! GAH!

Okay, so I look through the classifieds just to see some pretty snakes and lizards and also to see what I am interested in.
One thing that I absolutely can NOT stand is when people can't spell. I mean are they stupid?!?!?! Or do they do it on purpose. Like when people are selling a pure BRED dog they like to switch it up and say, "I have a pure bread" Here is a link to somebody on Fauna, http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=236707
Not only has he mislabeled what his lizards are but he has also spelled BREED wrong.
Another thing is, would you sell somebody a living creature of yours that is worth a lot of money who talks to you or presents themselves in the following manner: "hey i am interested in your snake that you got." Or "i is selling mines snake i will also trade lemme know what you got."

Not only do these people sound stupid and uneducated but they make me not want to ever sell them a reptile because of they cant speak right and get the information or question to me in the right way then how can I expect them to be able to take care of a living animal?

Sorry, I just seriously have seen all of these spelling errors and when people type and talk the way they do it bugs the crap out of me... Does it bug you guys?

Old 04-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
snowgyre
Yes, it bugs me a lot! As far as I'm concerned, professionalism goes both ways. 99% of the time when I get somebody typing like that in a PM, they never finish a transaction. I'm also more likely to call off a deal if somebody can't type a complete sentence. These are my animals after all, at least until they change hands, and therefore they're my responsibility.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:08 AM   #3
maggie22195
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
Yes, it bugs me a lot! As far as I'm concerned, professionalism goes both ways. 99% of the time when I get somebody typing like that in a PM, they never finish a transaction. I'm also more likely to call off a deal if somebody can't type a complete sentence. These are my animals after all, at least until they change hands, and therefore they're my responsibility.
That is exactly how I feel... IT seriously just makes me think that they are really just stupid. I honestly don't understand it!

Old 04-05-2011, 02:12 AM   #4
Dennis Hultman
In all honesty, when people start using "text speech" I find it frustrating but I don't let it get to me that much.

As far as spelling and proper grammar goes, the site has a very diverse member base from all walks of life. Not just here but the industry as a whole. I will state that we have some knowledgeable individuals in this hobby that have been around for years with absolutely stellar reputations that can't spell worth a darn. Some just can't type and others just don't care.

We use to have a few here that would go around and chastise different members and harass them for nothing more than their grammar and spelling ability. Attacking them without warrant. It wasn't tolerated and still isn't. They are no longer with us.

So, here is my problem with this current topic. Sure it is fine to post a thread and state your feelings on the lack of professionalism in ads and problems you have with people misspelling words or grammatical errors.

You did far more than that here. You linked to one specific user to ridicule him. That is attacking another member here and we really don't tolerate that outside of the Board of Inquiry. Doing so you can easily start conflict here between another member by attacking him in a forum that isn't here for that purpose.

What gets me even more is that there was so many other problems with that ad that there was no need to to highlight the misspellings with all the other problems.

NO, no, What really gets me is that you were having a very nice peaceful conversation and correcting him on what he was selling at the same time you were posting here criticizing him for his grammar.

It's just really funny seeing you start this thread criticizing him then returning to his classified continuing a casual conversation.

Quote:
You mentioned you are a snake guy, I guess that is why you wouldn't have known that you were being totally scammed. How much did you pay for them if you dont mind me asking?
What, you think he can't view new posts in other forums? Why are you continuing the conversation? After all, he is far less than you.

I did notice that "breed" was correct in the title but not in the body of the AD. Like I stated, there was enough flags for one to find fault with you didn't need to start a antagonizing thread here on his spelling.

So Yes, extremely bad spelling that you can't understand what is being related to you is frustrating. Grammatical errors that don't burden the communication process, don't bother me that much. I understand that many in this hobby come from varying backgrounds.

I don't mind them as much as I do the elitist that have nothing better to do than chastise those they consider of lesser value.

After all, he hasn't broken any rules here. Your more educated self has managed to break at least two.

One, by starting this thread targeting another member and Two, (Did I use the correct form?) carrying a conversation on in someones classified ad.

Just so we are clear, there are many reasons that one could have taken issue with that ad. I see several problems that would have caused alarm.

This site doesn't employ grammar police and we don't tolerate the harassment of members on such issues within the forums. A general topic on the on the issue can be started. Go for it but don't single out specific members.

I'm closing this thread. Pointing out that a member is "stupid" while linking to his profile isn't tolerated here. If you feel something rises to a BOI worthy thread, post it in that forum. There is no name calling allowed here.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread