Baby Phantasticus - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
Nosonboard
Baby Phantasticus

With a little time and effort I was able to hatch my first set (2) of Uroplatus phantasticus babies, or satanic leaf tails. These guys are so tiny it's ridiculous. They seem to be eating and pooping just fine so far, but would love any words of advice! I got 4 more in the oven waiting to hatch!
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
Nosonboard
baby phants

Here are some more pics
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
rcarichter
Wow! I have a group of phants that lay infertile eggs like clockwork. Despite vitamins and supplements, I haven't gotten a fertile one yet. Congratulations! I know of several people in the same situation; perhaps you could give us some advice.

Noelle

Old 11-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
312Herps
Congratulations..Not very many people are able hatch these babies and keep them alive from what i know of.Good luck.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:37 AM   #5
Magical Geckos
best advice is send them all to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #6
pakinjak
I'd suggest to hit up GU, it's the worldwide center of all virtual gecko wisdom. There are several phantastic Uro folks over there that can advise you.

My understanding is that when it comes to phants, the difficulty is keeping them alive, not breeding them. Assuming they make it through their first shed though, you're in good shape. Keep well them hydrated too.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
rcarichter
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakinjak View Post
I'd suggest to hit up GU, it's the worldwide center of all virtual gecko wisdom. There are several phantastic Uro folks over there that can advise you.

My understanding is that when it comes to phants, the difficulty is keeping them alive, not breeding them. Assuming they make it through their first shed though, you're in good shape. Keep well them hydrated too.
Yeah, I hang out over there often. I've also talked with (and purchased from) Lawrence Erikson, who successfully breeds several each year. After a first-year learning curve, I have a strong, healthy, breeding group, with lots of eggs, but none fertile. The biggest lesson I've learned is that WC's do not adjust well. Most have died in quarantine, the rest shortly thereafter. My CB's have never had a single issue (well, except those dud eggs).

Noelle

Old 12-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #8
Nosonboard
Yeah I lost the first two babies, everything seemed fine...good bowel movements good hydration...then all of a sudden no movement. I am thinking maybe at night the temperature range in the room was to extreme...meaning it would get cold the heater would turn on, then shut off and the room would quickly get cold...My next baby has hatched, so I have a small tank in a large tank with a thermostat and a ceramic to maintain the cage withing 3 degrees of 68. Hopefully this helps...I was also feeding flightless fruit flies as I don't have pin heads readily available...maybe I should order some.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
Nosonboard
And thank you everyone!

Old 12-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #10
creepyexotics1
Good luck I hatched out 6 and only have two left alive.The one is 5 months old next week but I lost one at 6 months old so time will tell.I have two WC males still but no females.The babies that are left are both boys.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!