Genetics?QUESTION? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-07-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
dumbluckjsoh
Genetics?QUESTION?

if i breed an albino kenyan sand boa to an anery what would i get out of them? visualy and geneticaly?

Old 01-07-2009, 05:24 AM   #2
Nanci
4/4 Normal (50% poss. het. Anerythristic, 50% poss. het. Amelanistic)

It would be easier to just buy a snow rather than test out all those possible hets.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #3
AncientDNA
Sorry Nanci...that's not quite right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
4/4 Normal (50% poss. het. Anerythristic, 50% poss. het. Amelanistic)

It would be easier to just buy a snow rather than test out all those possible hets.
If you breed an albino to an anery you get ALL 100% 'double' hets for snow. That is: 100% het albino & 100% het anery. It's breeding two double hets together where you get all the fuzzy probabilities to prove out through further breeding. .
But I think it's more fun that way anyway...
Oh yeah, visually they would be all normal-looking Kenyans. I have a Punnet Square generator on my website if you want to play with the combinations. It's in an Excel spreadsheet & you will have to download it for it to work.
Good luck!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #4
Nanci
Oops! I was wrong! I figured out het for amel x het for anery...

Ok- you'd get your snows a lot faster than I was thinking! Sorry.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
AncientDNA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Oops! I was wrong! I figured out het for amel x het for anery...

Ok- you'd get your snows a lot faster than I was thinking! Sorry.
Yeah...that combo would not be fun to prove out!

Old 01-07-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
dumbluckjsoh
thank you for clearing that one up. i was always under the impresion that i would get snows that way. what a bummer.

i have a snow male, if i breed him to an albino would i get all albinos het snow? and if i bred him to an anery would i get all anery het snow? assuming there are no other hets involved.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
AncientDNA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbluckjsoh View Post
thank you for clearing that one up. i was always under the impresion that i would get snows that way. what a bummer.

i have a snow male, if i breed him to an albino would i get all albinos het snow? and if i bred him to an anery would i get all anery het snow? assuming there are no other hets involved.
Yup, that is correct.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
Nanci
You can download a nice cornsnake genetic calculator here:

http://pjcreptiles.com/infocenter.html

GeneticGenWizard. I really like it. The basics are the same species to species.

You should have seen how disappointed I was when I found out I couldn't make lavblood cornsnakes with a lavender and a bloodred...And I _knew_ better!! I just conveniently forgot...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!