Kenyan Sand Boa - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-12-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
Hypancistrus
Kenyan Sand Boa

Picked up a male kenyan sand boa today. Very pretty animal! 2007 hatchling. To give a size reference, my pen knife is about 3.5" long.

Only downside is that he prefers live. I have no problem with this, it's just inconvenient. I should be able to switch him to F/T though, right?
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
queen58
They say you can but I have not had any luck so far.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
bisketandme
HI, I'm new. My name is Cheryl. I recently purchased a female Kenyan. I am not sure how old she is. She doesn't look as long as yours is, so I guess younger. I am hoping to learn how to put pictures on here. Your is very pretty. Looks like a yellow one? Mine is orange.

Cheryl

Old 02-12-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
Snoopysmom
A trick that I heard works (haven't tried it myself) is to put a thawed mouse in a small container with a live one for a couple of hours... small enough for some of the scent to rub off on the f/t one... he might take the f/t one that way. Eventually you won't have to put it in with the live one.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:55 AM   #5
kenchat046
a few suggestions ..........

"tease" feed - hold the f/t prey item with forceps and dangle it in front of the snake. That doesnt mean wildly swinging, but presenting the prey.

put the snake and f/t prey item in a deli cup,close the lid and leave it in there. It tends to work best when there are no distractions or disturbances around.

I have worked with kenyans for over 15 yrs and never had a problem switching over a "live" eater over to frozen/thawed. Hope this helps. Ken

Old 02-17-2009, 10:29 PM   #6
Hypancistrus
I forgot that I had posted this!

My KSB, Kaa, took his FIRST EVER f/t last night!! I was so excited! I partly uncovered him... just slightly... and then wiggled the mouse gently in the hole I had uncovered. He took it right away! Yay!

Old 03-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #7
Jink122
Any luck swtiching him?

I switched mine by tease feeding. I wiggly the ft in his face like it's "Alive" and he takes it.

They usually switch over after 3-4 months. Most of mine have.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
Hypancistrus
Yeah, he's been on F/T since February '09. Eating like a champ!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!