Male dragon not breeding. Plz help! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
blunt.doctor
Male dragon not breeding. Plz help!

I've got a male bearded dragon, over a year old. He has bred a female dragon before and produced fertile eggs. However, since the initial breeding he has not attempted to breed any other female (2 different females).

A friend has another male bearded, and we caged them next to each other in clear containers and my male went crazy trying to get to the other male, very aggressive. But when I introduced a female to his cage in front of the other male, he still would not breed. I've placed the female in the other male's cage and he will breed her, but when switched back to my male, nothing happens.

Anybody have any suggestions on what I could do to encourage my male to breed?

Old 08-29-2011, 12:54 AM   #2
Cache Reptiles
Allow the males to see each other through the clear containers like you have been doing, but only for 5-10 mins. After this 5-10 min period, introduce the male to the female. But make sure that the male that isn't breeding is completely out of the picture (can't see each other, at all). If they can still see each other, than the male that you want to breed will often attempt to dominant the other male instead of breeding.

Also, keeping the male and female together for a cycle of 1 day together, 2 days apart usually works well.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:42 AM   #3
pdragon
Some males will do that. They will prefer certain females, certain colors.
Josh

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
breeding, male