Carpet Cage Question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
Sarrix
Carpet Cage Question

Been looking around for an enclosure for my future carpet and found this Boamaster cage that seems pretty good. It is 4 x 24 x 19 and made out of melamine. I have not read too much about melamine but I have seen more then a few cages made out of it so I am assuming it will work. Will that height be alright for a full grown carpet??

I am thinking about irian jaya carpets as well as jungle because I know they are a bit smaller then a jungle. I have asked around so just looking to get some opinions on the cage and size, thanks!

Old 04-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Morelia4life
Caging seems to be an issue with certain people. Some people say they need at least 2 feet of height, while others claim less height. I think it is up to the snake to decide. If you have had a carpet for awhile that doesn't climb that much with the height it already has then clearly it doesn't need that much height. Some carpets climb more then others. Some will use the extra height and some won't. I just ordered a cage for my Coastal. It is one of the AP cages and it is the carpet cage. I think it is 36x24x15, I believe. Since my Coastal is only around 4 feet or so, this will do fine for a while. My carpet doesn't climb that much if ever. He sits on top of his hide 95% of the time under the heat lamp.

If you are getting a young carpet then it will probably make use of the extra height but I don't think adult carpets really care about climbing all that much. Give them a 4 or 5 foot long cage by 1 and 1/2 feet tall and food and they will be happy. Also if you plan on handling your carpet a lot, then that is extra excercise for them and that gives them time to explore. They are pretty curious snakes.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
bazzgazm
I keep my 5' male and female in 48x18x18, built out of shelving board (melamine) 5/8's with sliding glass doors and side vents, belly heat (4" heat tape under 6" ceramic tile)

HAven't had a complaint yet, but of course i haven't had a snake speak english to me either. Outside of that.. mine spends 90% of his time on or in his hide, like said... and the other 10% he'll sit on the 4' perch going across the tank.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!