Constrictor Rule Comment Open - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #41
coolbord9
oops sorry for language

Old 03-08-2015, 01:07 PM   #42
Night10gail
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbord9 View Post
This sucks. My local reptile group is laughing/celebrating and shitting on anyone who is less than thrilled with the ban, or who thinks other reptiles will come next. Super depressing to see reptile people attacking the hobby like that. I hope that my area isn't indicative of the average herp keepers attitude towards these legislative/exectuive acts...
Coolbord9: I won't lie I celebrated a little. I celebrated the bitter sweet small victory that thanks to USARK the Federal Wildlife department didn't add all boa constrictors as well. 1 less hit is still one hit dodged. We won a round but lost the match so to speak. I was one of the people who got that sigh of relief, while many others I know did not get any silver lining. I still feed upset about all this Lacey Act stuff and I know it's only a matter of time until boa constrictors are up for review yet again. I just recently found a new found like of anacondas too, but when and if I have the space for a large snake it would've been a Burmese Python, which thanks to USFWS is and will continue to be nearly impossible to find ever for me.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:50 PM   #43
lillyorchid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbord9 View Post
My local reptile group is laughing/celebrating and pooing on anyone who is less than thrilled with the ban, or who thinks other reptiles will come next. Super depressing to see reptile people attacking the hobby like that. I hope that my area isn't indicative of the average herp keepers attitude towards these legislative/exectuive acts...

Those people aren't on our side, as they are ARA nuts (animal rights activist). Those people hope to see ALL pet ownership abolished.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:12 PM   #44
freedumbdclxvi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night10gail View Post
I've been urging people to get their hands on a pair of any of the banned species so that they can keep the animals circulating in the pet trade of their state. It won't make you money and you'll actually likely have problems getting rid of offspring, but you may make some new anaconda/retic lover's day by having them available even if only occasionally.
I can say that's the plan currently being followed by many keepers in many states.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:54 PM   #45
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night10gail View Post
I still feed upset about all this Lacey Act stuff and I know it's only a matter of time until boa constrictors are up for review...
Yep. Boas got a reprieve but I have no doubts there will be more attempts made to add them to the Lacey list.
http://www.ibtimes.com/lacey-act-sna...lovers-1839762
Quote:
However, the Center for Biological Diversity said Friday the ban doesn’t go far enough. In a statement, the organization criticized the government for not restricting the widely traded boa constrictor, which the group said is displacing native reptiles in Puerto Rico and threatening wildlife in the United States.

“These exotic snakes pose an unacceptable -- and preventable -- risk to our nation’s most treasured natural habitats,” Collette Adkins, an attorney and biologist for the center, said in a statement. “Unfortunately, it appears that the agency caved to pressure from snake breeders in its decision not to restrict trade in the boa constrictor -- a snake that is clearly damaging to U.S. wildlife.”

Old 03-09-2015, 02:37 PM   #46
Night10gail
Prove that they are damaging wildlife. The only proof of snake damage to non-native habitats I've seen was a handful of Burmese that got lose during a hurricane destroyed a breeding facility. The truth is most exotic snakes cannot survive in the majority of states' environments. The states that are in danger of being infested by the species have their own rules in place to protect their environment. To protect native ecosystems they need not be banned to cross into all states, just a few.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!