Heat Tape and Rack Problem? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
UniqueByDesign
Heat Tape and Rack Problem?

So, after much time of researching and such, I've decided to build my own ball python rack! Currently I do not own any snakes, but I will be picking up a few at the next Repticon I attend (: My problem is this: I'm not sure where to place my 4" heat tape (which I am ordering later) on my rack. You see, there is this little "dip" at the back of the rack where I should place the heat tape, but I'm not sure if it's safe. I've attached a few pictures so you can see what I mean.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...psb6445a31.jpg
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1fd27973.jpg
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...psb17231e8.jpg

Ironically, the "dip" is exactly 4" wide, so the heat tape would cover the entirety of it. Do you think it would be safe to install the heat tape over it, or maybe right in front of the dip? (which would be about the middle of the tubs) I want to make sure my rack is as safe as possible, so any and all opinions are welcome!

Old 07-21-2014, 10:24 PM   #2
gila7150
I don't see any issue with placing it over the recessed area. I'm sure you're already aware that you should use a quality thermostat in order to keep the temps where they need to be. In my opinion it's always better to put the heat tape on one end of the tub rather than the middle in order to create more of a thermal gradient. Flex-watt is pretty safe if used as directed.
Good luck with your rack!

Old 07-22-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
UniqueByDesign
Thanks for the input! And, yes, I plan on using a Herpstat 1 to control my temperatures. I will be ordering it with the flex watt. (:

Old 07-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
gila7150
You'll be happy with the Herpstat. I've got a Herpstat 2 and it's been great.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
Dbz4246
You might also look into THG Heat tape, its a newer product that so far has worked really well for me. It does not heat up as hot as Flexwatt so its safer.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:45 PM   #6
robv720
I built myself a couple racks similar to this. I'm finding it pretty difficult with the 4" THG to keep the ambient inside the enclosures at 84 without keeping the thing on 24x7. I've got my therm pegged at 95 with probes on top of the tape between the tubs. I've got 4" THG tape on one 12" THG on the other. On the 12" tape I set the thermostat at 90 and ambient inside the tubs sits 84 - 85 perfectly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!