Viper geckos - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-09-2009, 02:16 AM   #1
kuvats
Viper geckos

Hello
Well after 6 months of going to shows and finding nothing but males I finally fund a dealer with females also So i picked up a pair They are doing great and Il happy to add them to my collection I have to promise my GF I wouldn't get the king snake i wanted but im happy with the compromise I picked up a nice dark male and a sandy colored female hopefully sunday Ill be able to find another female and have a trio someday I hope to have a few young ones to trade back at the show I also picked up a really nice sunglow male leopard gecko he didnt have the markings on the head i was looking for but he is stunning none the less

George

Old 06-09-2009, 04:36 AM   #2
lpcad
Nice! Viper geckos are great! Have fun with them!!!

Old 06-09-2009, 04:45 AM   #3
lpcad
here is a pic of one of our babies

Old 06-09-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
kuvats
LOL i cant even imagine have little ones that small ill have to start fruit fly cultures soon

Old 06-09-2009, 11:02 PM   #5
lpcad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvats View Post
LOL i cant even imagine have little ones that small ill have to start fruit fly cultures soon
LOL. you can start them on ten day old crickets, but the more variety in their diet the better. Just remember to supplement them well. Their metabolism is faster than leos and other larger geckos. A bowl of calcium in the enclosure is also a good idea, i have seen mine lick it like leos do. A Gatorade or 20oz. bottle cap works well as a bowl for the calcium.
The more hiding spots the better. I use a lot of fake plants and fake plant leaves. They are easy to sterilize, easy to move and easy to come by.
Make sure you separate the female(s) out after 6 to ten clutches they will literally lay themselves to death.
Viper geckos are a lot of fun!!! So I hope you have fun with them!!!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #6
kuvats
Hello
I have both meal worms and crickets every other day both dusted I wounderedi f i could put calcium in with them like i do my leos They were very active last night so they must be getting used to where they are as for a placed to lay eggs would a say 3 inch lid filled with coconut fiber in a hiding spot ok ?
George

Old 06-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
lpcad
dusted crickets are wonderful. If your viper geckos will eat meal worms i'm sure you could put them in a bowl of calcium and it would be fine. I have never been able to get mine to eat meal worms. They just are not interested in them.
My setup is simple, I use paper towel as a substrate(changed every couple days), a lot of places to hide, a Gatorade cap with water(changed daily) and a Gatorade cap filled with calcium, and an under tank heater set at 90F. I lightly spray one wall of the enclosure daily with water and I feed them daily(crickets or fruit flies).
As far as egg laying, if you give them an egg laying box or container i wouldn't use moist substrate. If the geckos decide to bury their eggs in it the moisture may cause the egg to mold and fail. It has been my experience that the females will usually lay their eggs in the corner of the cage or in their favorite hiding spot i.e. under a leaf or in a cave/hide and not often the same place their last clutch was laid. The eggs are hard shelled and about the size of a chick pea.
I incubate at 84F in sand or perlite in an 8oz. deli cup with a small hole for air circulation. I spray the lid of the deli cup lightly with water maybe once every ten to fourteen days. The babies usually hatch in around 45 days.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
marksiue2002
I have also been looking for a pair of viper geckos...Would you care to share where I can buy a pair?

Thanks,

Mark

Old 11-07-2009, 07:43 AM   #9
kuvats
Hello Mark
I just go to locl and somtimes not so local reptile shows as I said after 6 months of going to 1 to 2 shows a moth I finally found them There are two shows coming up in the next couple weeks if i find some there i can ask if they are willing to ship and send you there info but i havnt seen any in a few months again but you never know What will be there
George

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!