Question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
evilcowboy420
Question

I am curious if anyone else has a this happen. I have a female boa BCI she is cool being taken out of the cage but when she is returned to the cage she fly around kind of like a snake right when you wild catch it. Almost the same action as a snake trying to get away. But only wen she is put back in the cage but she is relaxed being picked up.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcowboy420 View Post
I am curious if anyone else has a this happen. I have a female boa BCI she is cool being taken out of the cage but when she is returned to the cage she fly around kind of like a snake right when you wild catch it. Almost the same action as a snake trying to get away. But only wen she is put back in the cage but she is relaxed being picked up.
I have a few snakes that do that not just BCI's. Why? If they had a higher intelligence and had previously been free (as in roaming out in the wild) I would think it would be "hell no you ain't putting me back in that small space", but being captive I have no clue why only some act like that.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
RJK890
IMO...

Snakes do not enjoy being held, they tolerate it.
They may adjust to being calm while being held for cage cleaning, but still not like it.
(I know, I have a few that seem to enjoy it myself.)

They have a natural instinct to fear humans.
If they don't consider us a food source, or a mate, then we must be a predator.

I think routine handling helps them adjust and realize that we are not going to harm them, but that still does not mean that they enjoy our sessions as much as we do.

As soon as you go to put some of them back into their enclosure, where they feel secure, they haul .
So when it seems like they are trying to get away, that is exactly what they are doing.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
I think Robert hit the nail on the head!

As soon as they are 'free' they make a run for it even if it's just into their tub/tank/etc. I have boas that I've had over 10 years that still do this every time.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:03 AM   #5
evilcowboy420
Wow 10 years and they still run for it. lol I did see a video where one that was lost for a month hissed and struck upon being discovered and returned to the tank. I think I may be getting lucky with this girl she is starting to calm down more and doesn't make a run for it as often as what she did. I have to say this boa is one of the most intimidating snakes I have. She stands straight up and tries to look me straight in the face when I first pick her up and she will keep the posture for a few minutes. She also doesn't use any hide and seems to be more confident than before. Hangs on the side of the water dish all day (not to use the water just the side of the dish) But she only hissed once and that was more at the F/T hopper I was trying to give her not sure what that was all about lol.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!