Hi i got a question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
ehirsh85
Hi i got a question

Hi i am new to the forums so please be kind. Ok any ways i have a question not about reptiles themselves but on something i am trying to raise as a food source for reptiles. i am trying to raise hornworms so far i just had my first moth emerge from its pupa. I know what to feed the moths and the worms and such but i want the moths to lay eggs what can i put in there screen cage other then tomato plants which i don't want the hornworms to eat on that they will lay eggs on. Or how do i prevent the hornworms from eating the plant and how do i locate and store the eggs when i find them.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
Twizted Paths
If you're talking about the cute blue caterpillars...

I have a great pdf but my comp & connection suck so I can't get it uploaded. I'll try to find where I got it from for you though.

Host plants for Manduca Sexta
• Capsicum (Sweet and Chili Pepper)
• Cestrum (Ornamental Plants)
• Cymphomandra (Tomarillo)
• Datura (Jimson weed, loco weed)
• Lycium (Ornamental Plants used for Chinese Herbal Medicines)
• Lycopersicum (Tomato)
• Nicotiana (Tobacco)
• Petunia (Petunia)
• Physalis (Tomatillo & Ground Cherry)
• Solandra (Ornamental Vines)
• Solanum (Potato, Eggplant, Christmas Cherry, Nightshade)

If you remove the eggs the cute lil blue worms won't eat the plant and become toxic.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
ehirsh85
I was thinking i was going to have to do that. Thanks so much for confirming my notions for me. What do the eggs look like? Do you know how many each moth will lay?

Old 03-23-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
Twizted Paths
It won't upload at all for me

I will find it for you online if it still exists, just gotta give me a minute lol.

And Hey! We're nice to non scammers, we only bite if you like it or deserve it

Old 03-23-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
Twizted Paths
Here ya go, this is where I got my pdfs from the link is set to take you to the egg page http://www.manducaproject.com/

It has all the info you need, sexing, breeding, set ups for all stages of their life cycle...

And here's another picture link, but it's line drawings http://insected.arizona.edu/manduca/PDFs/Posters.pdf

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!