Varmints are getting destructive! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 11-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
WebSlave
Varmints are getting destructive!

Connie and I were walking back from the garage this afternoon when I happened to glance at the shed next to it and saw a gaping hole in the side. Sheesh..... Just a wild guess on my part, but I'm guessing the only thing around here that could do something like this would be a black bear. Not sure WHY it ripped into the shed, as there is nothing inside for it to eat, so maybe it was after something that dived underneath the shed. Guess I've got some sheet metal patching to do........

Notice the woodwork below the sheet metal got tore up as well.

If this critter can shred sheet metal like this, I'd certainly hate to have it clawing away at my body.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Shadera
So he's still hanging around, huh? Good luck with him. We recently found several piles of black bear poo within feet of our home, and were told by the wardens to pretty much just live with it since they're so close to hibernation. I guess we have to wait until the bear actually breaks into the house before it becomes a problem. It seems like common sense to me that any bear that's willing to get THAT close to human dwellings has no fear of us and constitutes a nuisance animal.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
Metachrosis
Predators forage,eliminate the prey/food source
predators forage else where.Your property has suffered
damage you can legally fix it by/with extended measures.
If its a bear, shotgun birdshot is effective
discipline.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
WebSlave
Well, no telling how many bears may be around here. The below pic was taken on 10-02.....

Honestly, if there is any more damage that can be attributed to a bear, I will contact animal control or whoever has jurisdiction over such matters and tell them to come out here and round up the bear, or I will be forced to deal with it myself. Nature is OK amd a beautiful thing to have around till it starts knocking your door down looking for something to eat.

I'm thinking it's time to put my .50 Beowulf rifle next to the bed. I'm not sure the Sig I have on the nightstand would be an adequate bear stopper.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Untaimed
We have a black bear that comes up to our house every night. At first we thought it was dog getting into our trash cans, every morning I would wake up to our trash scattered all across the yard, not what you want to wake up to! After about 5 times I finally used a bungee cord to keep the trash can closed. I stay up late & one night I heard a large thump outside & thought to myself I'll finally see whose damn dog is getting in my trash, so I run outside & there is a pretty large black bear looking back at me. I'll admit I almost peed myself, not at all what I was expecting! We live in a neighborhood without any woods nearby & I honestly can't figure out where he's coming from, but he's persistant & I still find the can flipped over every morning, he jut hasn't been able to get in to it. He scared away two of my neighbors Pit Bull dogs when he got into their back yard, sadly she's never located one of them. I've called several times & get told that there is nothing they can do unless someone gets hurt, so I guess he's here to stay. He's rather large, at least 3 ft tall on all fours & it's kind of cute to watch him lumber around, but I would feel a lot better if he was somewhere else...

Old 11-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
Metachrosis
He needs taught that humans =pain
not food or anything desirable to bear life

Old 11-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
Shadera
No one here has said they're feeding bears. At least, not willingly. Jezus, I've even had to bring in my grill and EMPTY bird feeders to give him absolutely no hope of anything. The warden told me I shouldn't have my rabbit feed out in feeders for the rabbits in my garage, or anything like that. WTF? What's the difference between having rabbit pellets in a feed hopper inside my home, or anything else I might have in my pantry they might be able to get a whiff of from outside? What are we supposed to do? Not ever have any food anywhere in our homes? That's unrealistic. I live nowhere near the woods. Passing through is one thing. Lingering long enough to crap everywhere is crossing my line. There is plenty of wilderness elsewhere for Yogi and his kin.

Mr bear and his family get close to my dwelling and I catch them, I'm implementing the three S's. Otherwise, I'm getting a bear tag first thing next year and hanging his hide on my wall. Same with those damn deer that don't fear me. Yet.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
Shadera
I was just out in the garage putting more rabbit cages together and something clicked.

I wonder if any of this inactivity on state official's parts to control bears that are too habituated to humans has anything to do with the government cracking down on folks trying to grow their own food? I mean, what better way to scare folks off of gardening or growing fruit/nut trees than saying they can't do anything about the bears that will be attracted to your property by those things? (All things I was also told.) Perfect plan, use the tree huggers that want the bears protected and unmolested to keep folks from becoming self sufficient.

I'm still putting in my garden and my trees. I guess I'll just have to put some heavy duty electric charge around them, and sit out with a shotgun and some rocksalt load.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
JColt
Got an opossum living in some insulation in my shed. My boxers trying to get at it caused more damage than it did. Getting a trap from friend this weekend. Maybe drop it off in my a hole neighbors yard.... J/K....Kinda....

Old 11-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
WebSlave
Well, I guess it would have helped had I actually attached the "below pic"......
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!