New Snake Owner, help! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-25-2004, 02:38 PM   #1
CAMAROWITHBASS
Stop! New Snake Owner, help!

First of all i dont know if i am posting in the right part of the forum, if not then i aplogize.

Well i have had a glossy snake for about a week now, he/she is in a 10 gallon aquarium with a heating rock there to keep it warm. Here is a picture of what it looks like:

http://uploads.fakeleg.com/tmp/snake111.bmp

I would like to know more about this snake, like at what temp to keep the tank at? Do i need any special lighting? What type of stuff should i use at the bottom?, at the moment i have gravel that came with the fish tank.

I am new at all this, but i am very eager to learn everything i can.

Also it doesnt want to eat, i threw in a live mouse in there and the snake would just ignore it, maybe its not hungry?

Old 12-25-2004, 03:30 PM   #2
MR_Jungle_Mist
Hi Robert. Have a look around this site before you post next time. Although it might look a little complicated it's quite easy to navigate and find the correct forum to pose a question like this. Unfortunately you've posted in the Ball Python forum.

As for your Glossy Snake - have you looked around on google or yahoo at all? I have to admit I've never kept a Glossy Snake before but I can't imagine it's all too difficult. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but you can most likely keep him/her in an enclosure or tank with much of the same requirements as most colubrids (cornsnakes, kingsnakes, milksnakes, etc etc etc).

Good luck with your new acquisition.

Old 12-26-2004, 05:29 PM   #3
BallPyFan
Hi Robert, welcome to herping. First thing, do your snake and you a favor: get rid of the heat rock! Those things have been known (some would say "are notorious for") to develop hot spots or shorts which can burn the poor snake. Some people use heat lgihts, I personally prefer to use an undertank heater (UTH). Do a bunch of research on that particular species, as to heat and humidity requirements, and if you are going to feed live, do it responsibly, i.e. keep an eye on the rodent to make sure it doesn't try to turn the tables on your snake. Those are just starters Happy herping!

Old 12-27-2004, 01:20 AM   #4
hydrogen cricket
why just why!!!

why do you peeps always go and get a creature without doing any research on it at all??? it really sickens me to see idiots just walk in a store, buy an animal, take it home, and then have no idea what the hell to do. MORONS!!! you're supposed to find the creature you want, do research on it, setup the habitat FIRST, and then buy the animal. no wonder there are so many unhappy pets out there.......

hydrogen cricket.....

Old 12-27-2004, 02:59 AM   #5
NEWReptiles
I hate to step up, but when I aquired my first Regius, I had no idea what the hell I was doing. My first ball had a hot rock, and even gravel substrate. This was in the mid 90's, but I had no internet, and the books I read were hella outdated.

My point I guess, cut the guy some slack, we all started somewhere..........

Old 12-27-2004, 10:14 AM   #6
hydrogen cricket
yeah,

well this is fricken' 2004. he could've at least wisen up. it doesn't make any sense to give 'em some slack. sure i'm new here as well, and if i make a stupid mistake i'll like someone to tell me about it before i damage my snake or something. there's nothing wrong with me scolding him for being retarded!!!

hydrogen cricket.....

Old 12-27-2004, 12:09 PM   #7
ms_terese
Hi Robert,

I'm guessing you found this snake rather than bought it. Wild caught snakes can sometimes be very difficult to acclimate to captivity.

My first piece of advice to you is to release it, but I'm not sure if I would have taken that advice myself when I first became mesmerized with reptiles, so I won't hold it against you if you ignore me.

I believe that glossy snakes eat lizards, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear he doesn't take mice.

Here is some basic info: http://www.zo.utexas.edu/research/tx...a.elegans.html

Please make sure this animal has sufficient hide areas to reduce stress.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Old 12-27-2004, 01:05 PM   #8
CAMAROWITHBASS
[quote=hydrogen cricket]why do you peeps always go and get a creature without doing any research on it at all??? it really sickens me to see idiots just walk in a store, buy an animal, take it home, and then have no idea what the hell to do. MORONS!!! you're supposed to find the creature you want, do research on it, setup the habitat FIRST, and then buy the animal. no wonder there are so many unhappy pets out there.......[quote]

If it sickens you that people buy pets w/o doing any research then you have no life.

I saw the snake i had the $$$ to buy it i took it home and thats that.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!