PETA is at it again... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 05-29-2005, 01:14 PM   #1
Alias47
PETA is at it again...

Didn't know where else to post this...but if anyone had ANY doubts about PETA, their motives...or the way they operate...check this out...if it was MY kids school...they would have had to arrest ME...I wouldn't put up with ANYONE trying to coerce my children into accepting ANY philosophy or political agenda...especially in this sort of manner...

Link: http://www.kvia.com/Global/story.asp...6&nav=AbBzaIj1

Group Passes Out Controversial Cards to Children

EL PASO, TX. - Students at a Northeast El Paso Middle School are subjected to the "ugly side" of eating fish and parents are upset. People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) targeted Terrace Hills Wednesday morning for getting their anti-fish eating message out.

PETA caused an uproar by handing out "trading cards" and fliers just outside of Terrace Hills Middle School. A PETA member, dressed in a giant fish costume, carried a sign saying "fish are friends, not food."

The member not only passed the trading cards, but fliers as well, to children who walked by. The location was a concern to some as Terrace Hills is next door to Collins Elementary School, where the cards could have been distributed to children as young as 4 years of age.

PETA is using the trading cards, with cartoon characters such as "ill Bill" and "wicked Wanda", to get the message to kids that eating fish is "hazardous, unhealthy and cruel."

According to the "ill Bill" card students received, Bill became ill because "he ate poop-filled fish since says fish swim in their own poop." On the "wicked Wanda" card, children are told that Wanda is wicked because, "she's so mean because the fish she ate for dinner felt a lot of pain when it was killed."

Parents ABC-7 spoke with say the cartoon trading cards is a sneaky way for PETA to promote its own agenda. Additionally, some parents said that PETA had no business attempting to contact their children.

Since PETA did not have permission to go on

Old 05-29-2005, 01:48 PM   #2
Lucille
The scary thing is that PETA is a BIG organization, with money for these cards and so on. They also engage others in various lawsuits to further their agenda.

I must admit to being curious about their funding. I know many people who are irritated with PETA tactics; I do not know one person, not even ONE, who has ever said that they are a member of this organization.

Where is their constituency? How are they funding all these high profile incidents?

Old 05-29-2005, 02:31 PM   #3
Alias47
Read this...you'll find it interesting...it's about the ways peta reaches our children...

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/arti...fm?article=156

I am trying to find another site...a non-profit org watchdog group that has a ton of information about the Animal Rights groups...where they get their money...and how they spend it...can't remember the name of the group though...LOL

Old 05-29-2005, 02:41 PM   #4
Enigmatic
A PETA member, dressed in a giant fish costume, carried a sign saying "fish are friends, not food."

Oh how evil! Someone dressed up as a fish and held an ethical sign stating their own person opinion! DAMN THEM TO HELL!!!

According to the "ill Bill" card students received, Bill became ill because "he ate poop-filled fish since says fish swim in their own poop." On the "wicked Wanda" card, children are told that Wanda is wicked because, "she's so mean because the fish she ate for dinner felt a lot of pain when it was killed."

How are these cards wrong? They provide exact and truthful information. Fish DO swim in their poop.. and fish DO feel pain when they are killed. It would be a little different if they were running around with giant cans of red paint and throwing it on the children screaming "MURDERERRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" . That's how BAD you are all making this sound. Cmon people. It's a freaking peice of paper with truthful facts, and suddenly thats evil?

Or is it that you don't WANT your children to know the truth?

This is the exact same as someone religious telling kids that doing this and this and this is a SIN. You don't see parents losing their tact over that, now do you?

I do disagree with telling the children they are bad and mean for doing it, unless they are the age to understand it. Because it's the PARENTS who should be called bad and mean, as they are the ones making their children eat this without even educating them of what it really is. No person on earth should be fed somehting unless they know WHAT it really is.

If PETA's personal opinion is that you shouldn't eat fish, why would you argue with them? This is their personal opinion, respect it. If you were to come and tell me that eating meat is GOOD, thats your opinion, and i won't argue with you on it. I would simply state my opinon on the matter, but not try to convert you or make it seem like I am right. That's just pathetic.

And this post of mine is my personal opinion on the issue. I'm simply stating another view on it. So if you'd like to react in an immature manner, my email is c_willis@sympatico.ca. I won't be checking back for replies on here, so if you'd like to get a hold of me thats your only way :eatpointe

Old 05-29-2005, 02:52 PM   #5
Jim O
Another country heard from...literally.

Old 05-29-2005, 03:28 PM   #6
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic
How are these cards wrong? They provide exact and truthful information. Fish DO swim in their poop.. and fish DO feel pain when they are killed.
If you think that's bad, you should see what cows walk around in...

Quote:
If PETA's personal opinion is that you shouldn't eat fish, why would you argue with them? This is their personal opinion, respect it. If you were to come and tell me that eating meat is GOOD, thats your opinion, and i won't argue with you on it. I would simply state my opinon on the matter, but not try to convert you or make it seem like I am right. That's just pathetic.
Yeah, but I don't think it's right that they PREACH their opinion to children...especially at school where the parents aren't present to censor what their children are exposed to.

Old 05-29-2005, 03:33 PM   #7
Alias47
Quote:
[COLOR=BlueOh how evil! Someone dressed up as a fish and held an ethical sign stating their own person opinion! DAMN THEM TO HELL!!!
Absolutely...they were blatantly pushing their 'personal opinion' on grade scholl children, too young to understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic
How are these cards wrong? They provide exact and truthful information. Fish DO swim in their poop.. and fish DO feel pain when they are killed. It would be a little different if they were running around with giant cans of red paint and throwing it on the children screaming "MURDERERRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" . That's how BAD you are all making this sound. Cmon people. It's a freaking peice of paper with truthful facts, and suddenly thats evil?

Or is it that you don't WANT your children to know the truth?
The "truth"?? As who sees it? The animal RIGHTS groups provide a twisted and engineered version of the "truth" as they see fit...sometimes even blatently lying to advance their agenda. It isn't a "piece of paper with truthful facts" it is propagandist literature written with the sheer purpose of feeding our kids heads full of THEIR twited rhetoric. It is aimed at children...NOT at adults who have the sensibility to think for themselves and process the information that Peta has distributed...they are attacking our children with scare tactics. That is the same thing countries do in WAR...but at least in war...they provide the information to everyone...NOT directly and intentionally to children. They have no business handing out ANYTHING to kids...

Besides...do you know where the water you drink comes from?
How fish poop and urine is in it?
What about other animal waste...and dead animals...and human feces...and contaminants and pollutants...?
HUMANS do more to endanger the quality of fish than fish do...but kids think poop is gross...so it was used to FRIGHTEN them. This should be prosecutable as domestic terrorism.

Quote:
This is the exact same as someone religious telling kids that doing this and this and this is a SIN. You don't see parents losing their tact over that, now do you?
I would go ballistic if religious groups were at my childrens school distributing frightening scare tactic propaganda to my children.

Quote:
Because it's the PARENTS who should be called bad and mean, as they are the ones making their children eat this without even educating them of what it really is. No person on earth should be fed somehting unless they know WHAT it really is.
You obviously are a member of this group...or one like it...sharing their view about the evils of meat. The problem is these people aren't trying to keep a 'PERSONAL OPINION'...I would fight for them to keep that right...the problem at hand is that they are trying to push their agenda on children...and the world at large...this isn't an educational experience...it is downright terrorism.
Telling a child that their parents are "BAD AND MEAN" is something you find acceptable? Because that child's parents provide food for them? Are you certifiable? This is an absolutely ridiculous assessment of the situation.
If no person should eat anything unless they know what it REALLY is...then I assume you are pro-hunting and fishing...then we know from kill to table EXACTLY where our meat came from and how it was processed?

Quote:
Funny...I didn't attack them...or their opinion...or promote eating meat as better than a vegetarian lifestyle...I keep my opinions to myself...
THEY attacked these children with their propagandist literature. This literature wasn't reserved for adults...or made for them to express their 'personal opinion'...it was created expressly for the purpose of undermining these childrens beliefs and values. And creating doubt in the family structure as well as damaging these childrens concepts...
If they had kept their 'personal opinions' to themselves...this thread would never have been started...but they chose to make it public...by attacking children with their hate literature...
I never did anything more than state MY opinion about the way they operate against our kids...and you were quick to attack my opinion...
Hmmm...thought you just said that wouldn't happen...
The holier than thou attitude you disseminate is EXACTLY like the one that PETA disseminates with the campaigns they use to promote their agenda.
Thank you for calling Peta pathetic...
It definitely shows you have promise...LOL...considering the only people trying to convert ANYONE (Grade school children, no less) is them.

Quote:
And this post of mine is my personal opinion on the issue. I'm simply stating another view on it. So if you'd like to react in an immature manner, my email is c_willis@sympatico.ca. I won't be checking back for replies on here, so if you'd like to get a hold of me thats your only way :eatpointe
Seems strange that you tell me my personal views are valid and should be respected (you told me to do the same for PETA..which I would if they weren't trying to force their 'opinions' down the throats of children)...yet you have already determined that my reaction will be immature...

Hmmm...seems like this entire reactionary post from you is mired in circular logic and hypocracy while promoting the same agenda that caused this thread to be started...camoflagued by the guise of 'personal opinion' and hidden in a diatribe containing only scapegoatism and lack of personal accountablilty.

But maybe that is just my 'personal opinion'...

Old 05-29-2005, 03:35 PM   #8
Alias47
Hmmm...you want me to email you directly...but won't allow the email to come through fauna...

Hell...I'll bite...

Old 05-29-2005, 03:40 PM   #9
Cat_72
WOW....I was just thinking that it was going to take me FOREVER to type out what I wanted to say to this guy (we all know they ALWAYS look to see the replies, especially when they say they won't, lol)......and Derek said it all.....only he probably said it a whole lot better than I would have.

Excellent post, Derek.

Old 05-29-2005, 03:42 PM   #10
Alias47
Thank you...my 2 year old deleted it halfway through and I had to start over...

Probably better on the second draft...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!