Help identifying a northern indiana snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:08 PM   #1
jastrong
Help identifying a northern indiana snake

Hi, we were out walking close to lake Michigan when we came across this snake. I forgot to see if it had sits or round pupils. I know almost nothing about snakes, but it did something odd to me when I got close. It flattened the part out immediately behind its head that reminded me of what I've seen of cobras in pictures (I know it isn't a cobra). Anyway just looked a bit different than the regular old garter snakes that I see around occationally. It went off into the woods but I'm just curious what it might be. Thanks
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2017, 05:30 PM   #2
WebSlave
Hognose....

Old 10-03-2017, 05:30 PM   #3
Beyond GenetiX
Did it look like this? What I can make out in the picture, it's an eastern hognose, heterodon platirhinos.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2017, 05:40 PM   #4
blueboost68
Yep its a hognose a very nice looking little one to.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:52 PM   #5
jastrong
Thanks so much! I was really curious. Nice to know. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!