JIm Flaherty and The Chameleon Company - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-04-2006, 10:52 PM   #1
kmease
Thumbs up JIm Flaherty and The Chameleon Company

I have recently moved into a new house and was wishing to build a nice display case to not only show off my cabinet making skills but to also have something quite interesting for guests to admire. Having kept and maintained a plethora of chameleon species I thought it might be nice to have a pair of chameleons that were flashy but easier to maintain. I made my mind up on a pair of Ambilobe Pardalis.
I kept my eye on quite a few in the Kingsnake ads and seen some quite phenomenal specimens. Of course the pricing was quite phenomenal, as well. Then I run across an ad by The Chameleon Company LLC, advertising some offspring from an amazing looking ambilobe sire. I sent an email out to them concerning an unrelated pair and was quite amazed at the quickness of the response and the detailed reply to all of my questions and concerns, via Jim Flaherty.
I struck a deal, made payment and was promptly emailed shipping information, tracking number and was very surprised when I received the animals almost to the hour of when I was informed to expect them. Upon inspection I was quite astonished with the male. He had just amazing colors for his age. The female seemed alright and appeared healthy. Both had clean fecals and not one flaw detected.
After letting both settle in to their new environment the male acclimated and adjusted nicely, kept getting nicer in coloration, ate anything and everything in sight, and still appears the epitome of fine health.
The female did not acclimate so well. She ate just enough to maintain her weight even though offered a wide variety of food items. I thought "Oh, no, here we go"
I emailed Jim and voiced concerns about the way the female was acting. He informed me that this happens from time-to-time and not to worry, that he would just send another non-related replacement female. I told him to just hold on and we would see how she faired.
Well almost a month later and she was still the same weight. I emailed Jim again about my concerns and had a response in less than 15 minutes. He included his phone number and asked if I wanted to call. He informed me that it was not a problem and that he had a female in mind to send me. Again I was notified via email of shipping, tracking number sent, and Voila!! Not just another female but an astonishing one. Much to my surprise, Jim informed me via email the next day that he just went ahead and sent me a young hold-back female. Imagine my delight!!

Well I did a search on the BOI to add to any thread concerning The Chameleon Company LLC and Jim Flaherty. There appeared to be a few so I decided to start my own thread.
Having been in the reptile trade now for over 20 years, believe me, I have dealt with a myriad of reptile vendors. Without exception, this has been the easiest and most professional transaction I have ever concluded. Great product, good prices, prompt communication, great packaging, shipping on time, and someone bending over backwards to make something wrong a positive experience!!! In my books it does not get any better than this.

Jim, you not only have my future business with panther chameleons but my respect, as well.

Thanks and Regards,

Kenn Mease
Chameleo Research Group

Old 05-04-2006, 11:03 PM   #2
Chameleon Company
Check is in the mail Kenn ! Seriously, thanks .. a pleasure to earn your money.

Old 05-04-2006, 11:21 PM   #3
norsmis
You picked a true professional to deal with. I wouldn't expect anything less from Jim. As usual Jim, thanks for what you do for this hobby!

Old 05-05-2006, 01:50 AM   #4
TylerStewart
Complete Agreement!

I agree completely about Jim's promptness in e-mails and detail, as well as his ability to produce top quality panthers. I've bought from him on several occasions and his animals have turned out amazing. Nobody can match his chameleon know-how, and certainly not his collection. It truly is second only to Madagascar. He's straight up and real, and doesn't beat around the bush when an issue arises. Certainly not one to hide behind his TOS like we see so often nowadays.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:45 AM   #5
KathyLove
Although I do not currently keep chameleons and so have not purchased from Jim, I have visited his facility on several occasions while my hubby Bill was photographing them there.

Impressive is an understatement when applied to Jim's chameleon operation! His planning and obvious financial investment have allowed the chameleons to take the best advantage of our Florida climate, yet his greenhouse design tempers all of the extremes that would make life difficult for them. He has planned it so that a moderate amount of time each day keeps these animals in the best captive conditions that you could hope to see! And the numbers of these normally very labor intensive herps that he keeps in such great conditions is just amazing! Anyone who sees his set up would probably want a chameleon, even if you never had a desire for one before.

Add that to Jim's obvious care, professionalism, and attention to detail, and I don't see how you could go wrong. If he ever gets out of producing chameleons, he should probably go into consulting and helping herp breeders in general to set up both physical and business operations to try to match the one he has now, lol!

Old 05-05-2006, 11:14 AM   #6
Chameleon Company
You got me laughing Kathy ... in the best way of course !

Quote:
Add that to Jim's obvious care, professionalism, and attention to detail, and I don't see how you could go wrong.
And if you ever get out of corns etc, you can be a marketing agent !! While I know what you mean, and thank you generously for the endorsement, I want to remind folks that chameleons are not for beginners.

Old 05-05-2006, 01:23 PM   #7
Lizard Lair
I've always said that the proof of a good breeder/business man is how he/she handles a problem. It's impossible to deal with so many animals and not eventually encounter a problem. I think what makes you or breaks you is how you handle your problems! Quick resonse to a customers needs and no quibbling over the details are, to me, the ear marks of a great business! This is an excellent thread, because not only does it show the quality of service offered by Jim, but gives the added reassurance that if something should go wrong you can count on him to make good.

Old 05-05-2006, 01:35 PM   #8
Neil Gubitz
Well, I definitely have to agree with all of you.... I had a problem with a sick chameleon of mine a while ago.... Now, I have NEVER bought anything from Jim, but I emailed him to ask his advice anyway.... Not only did he email me back immediately with how to handle the problem, but he also told me the exact meds to use and the correct dosage, and where to get them.... I then called him on the phone to thank him for his help, and we talked for quite awhile.... He really helped me out, when he really didn't have to, and went far and above what I expected him to do.... I really appreciated it (as did my chameleon), and I OWE HIM BIG TIME!!....
It's always nice to find someone, with that much knowledge about a particular species, that is willing to go out of his way to help a fellow herper in trouble....

Jim.... THANK YOU!!

Neil

Old 05-05-2006, 03:07 PM   #9
MANTIS
I must agree....

I have done transactions with Jim a couple times, and everytime went smoothly as possible. The chameleons always arrived in good condition, he has great prices, and his customer service is second to none that I have ever dealt with. A very professional business with an emphisis on quality (and obviously quantity too! ) A real pleasure to do business with, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy form him again.

-Adam.

Old 05-05-2006, 03:42 PM   #10
shrap
I would not hesitate to buy from Jim, even if he is opinionated, stubborn, set in his ways, hard headed...... kinda like the guy I see in the mirror every morning.

In all seriousness, I would highly recommend him and his animals to anyone. Jim is one of the good guys.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!