Info www.istockphoto.com could be slling your photos - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:07 PM   #11
crotalusadamanteus
If Mike didn't allow his pictures @ iStock, then He'll deal with it. I'm sure the person using them from iStock for the purpose of the website isn't heisting them from Mike on purpose.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:56 PM   #12
Mister Internet
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
If Mike didn't allow his pictures @ iStock, then He'll deal with it. I'm sure the person using them from iStock for the purpose of the website isn't heisting them from Mike on purpose.
No one's saying the person who BOUGHT them from iStockPhoto was knowingly trying to rip Wilbanks off... rather, the "photographer" who submitted them.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:02 PM   #13
Kaa22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
No it's not, especially at the size that we're talking about. That is more then three times larger. The quality would be completely unusable and would never be accepted by iStock.

I hope the photographer comes here and posts. These are pretty serious accusations and he is profiting from the photos, so if he's in the US it's grounds for a lawsuit. I'd like to know too how he was able to acquire the high resolution images in the first place.
Quite. But what would I know. I've only been a photographer since the Elan 7e was one of the best cameras out there.

Like I said, why not shoot Mike a call to discuss this with him. I guarantee you're going to get the same answer... they are stolen pictures. The only other people I know of that have actively and professionally photographed his collection are Randy May and Steve Gooch... and that was quite a while ago, before both Randy and Steve had taught Mike the ins and outs of studio work. Mike does all of his own photos. You can clearly tell by looking at them that that is Mikes work.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:03 PM   #14
Kaa22
Forgot to add:

On top of this, I have been speaking to Mike about this. He did confirm those images were stolen. Again. This isn't the first time Mike's photos were stolen in this manner.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:40 PM   #15
lance_portal
i wasn't trying to bring up Mikes case, i just wanted to get the info out their that this site was found to have our fellow breeders stuff sold out from under him.. Ididn't think people would go as far to say someones dumb becuase he didnt know his photos were being stolen....come on, thats why we have these sites...to help our fellow breeders

Old 05-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #16
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance_portal View Post
Ididn't think people would go as far to say someones dumb becuase he didnt know his photos were being stolen....
I didn't say that. I asked why anyone is dumb enough to put high resolution files up on the internet. Completely twisted my words around. Not only are resolutions that high unnecessary online, but things exactly like this happen. The action itself is stupid, not the person. The file I looked at (the trio of Ball Pythons) was not pulled off his website...The iStock photographer had access to the original file by other means.

Quote:
Quite. But what would I know. I've only been a photographer since the Elan 7e was one of the best cameras out there.
Yeah, what would I know either...I've only been working in digital media professionally for over six years.

Frankly, I've wondered when something like this was going to come up in the reptile world. I use stock photography a lot as most of my clients can't take photos worth a poop or simply don't have the time. You're bound to see duplicates somewhere, especially since reptiles don't have huge stock options. I understand in this case someone is stating they are stolen (third person), but it is something you need to consider in the future before accusing someone of stealing pictures. It's totally possible they legitimately purchased a license for a photo from a stock source that just happened to be used by someone else.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #17
LoboGfx
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
No it's not, especially at the size that we're talking about. That is more then three times larger. The quality would be completely unusable and would never be accepted by iStock.

I hope the photographer comes here and posts. These are pretty serious accusations and he is profiting from the photos, so if he's in the US it's grounds for a lawsuit. I'd like to know too how he was able to acquire the high resolution images in the first place.
I agree.. resizing that 750x379 to 3872x2892 quality will be crappy as hell.. I may not have the exp as many graphics designer out there... but I can say for sure that even the best will have hard time doing it..... you wont see anything but pixels =O

and I also agree with this:
Quote:
I didn't say that. I asked why anyone is dumb enough to put high resolution files up on the internet. Completely twisted my words around. Not only are resolutions that high unnecessary online, but things exactly like this happen. The action itself is stupid, not the person. The file I looked at (the trio of Ball Pythons) was not pulled off his website...The iStock photographer had access to the original file by other means.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #18
likebull1
I am the guy who has mikes photos on my site.
I analogize to him from the bottom of my heart.
If i would of known they were his i would of not had my website designer use them.

I already replied to this post on another forum with a negative attitude because there were multiple posts calling me a huge POS and everything else in between. I have been out of the business for quite a while now and i did not design my website, so i dont know how to take the pictures down. If somebody can tell me how it will be much appreciated.

I am just happy for not getting bashed on this site. Like i said i did not design the site and i just figured we just had legally bought photos the jazz up my homepage.

I'm sorry if i offended anybody, and i will make sure the photos are taken down as soon as i figure it out.

Thanks,
Derrick.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #19
lance_portal
hey derrick......alot of people know the owner of the photos and it has happened to him befor(i think)....thats way they came down on you like that did........thanks for coming out here. Question, have you talked with that photo site about them??? would like to here what they think about it.....i would get a refund bro. Need help removing them let us know....someone on here should know how....

Old 05-17-2010, 02:07 PM   #20
TripleMoonsExotic
Just an FYI since people (as always) jump to conclusions...

Quote:

To: triplemoonsdesign

CC:

Subject: RE: Ball Python Photos

Hello, thank you for letting me know. Actually the snakes I used belong to a friend of mine and he did not know I was going to put them on istock. We discussed the matter and worked out an agreement. I am going to remove the photos for him given the situation. Thank you

Nathan

Written by "triplemoonsdesign" at 01:03 PM, May 9, 2010:

Just an FYI, their are some serious accusations going on about you having stolen photos that are currently in your portfolio here on iStock. http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...863#post940863
So all in all, Mike didn't take the photos...The iStock photographer has the original files because he took them...The two are friends and have come to a private, mutual agreement about the photos.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!