New to Dragons - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-25-2012, 01:31 AM   #1
mgoblue347
New to Dragons

Hello all!

Merry Christmas!

So I just picked up a baby bearded from the Arlington Reptile Show here in Arlington Texas a week or so ago and I just wanted to make sure I was doing everything right. I have a reptisun 10.0 fluorescent strip inside at the back of her tank. She has a hide, a log, a water dish and a food dish. I use outdoor carpet as her substrate. I have a 100w basking bulb for her and a 50w red night bulb. She sleeps through the entire night with the red bulb so no worries on her getting no sleep. I feed her small crickets a few times a day alternating ones with calcium + D3 powder. I feed her kale and carrots, although I've yet to see her eat her veggies yet. I've also thrown some raspberries, squash, and broccoli in there as well. I spray her with a spray bottle once or twice a day, she usually just lays there and closes her eyes when I do this.

Can't really think of anything else.

Thanks for the input!

Old 12-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
Rud3Bwoy
id take out the red light personally,water dish isn't needed it will drive the humidity up of the enclosure,you can mist them out the cage daily or bathe them 1-2 times a week,also get a temp gun to make sure temps are accurate ,also id be careful with acid fruits on dragons

Old 12-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
GMTIRRILL
i wouldnt worry to much about the baby eating greens just keep offering them if you wish for a night light go with a midnight blue night light. for a baby you need a basking spot 100 to 110 and mid 80 in the cool side keep feeding crickets at least two times a day. stop feeding carrots, and rasberries as for misting do it the way your doing it but i would give him/her a bath twice a week you can keep water in there cage but try to keep the humidity around 30& no higher

Old 12-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Cache Reptiles
Sounds like you've got the basics down! As far as getting her to eat greens, try dropping them into her cage so that they almost bounce when they hit the ground- the movement will get her attention.

I would recommend getting a temp gun or something to keep her temps in check- you can also just read her body language to tell if it's getting too hot or too cold. If she's basking 24/7, either increase the bulb wattage or better yet, put the basking area closer to the bulb. If she's on the cool side with her mouth open all the time, change to a smaller wattage bulb.

Also, as long as the room temp doesn't get below 65 at night, you don't need a night time bulb.

Good luck with her!

Old 12-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
mgoblue347
Great, thanks everyone for their help!

I keep ball pythons so I do have herp experience.

Is there anything negative to the nighttime bulb? I keep my thermostat set for 71-72 in my apt 24/7 solely because the tubs my bps were in started to get lower than I'd like due to it being winter. I personally would set my therm at 68 but they come first =]. I just give her kale now and she still doesn't eat it and the dropping it doesn't work but she eats plenty of crickets. I will continue to offer greens and eventually she'll catch on. I feed her about 4 times a day, as long as she eats all that I drop in I continue to drop a couple more in until she stops eating. I am now soaking her in slightly warm water a few times a week which she loved immediately. Already had a temp gun for my balls and her temps are spot on throughout her home. I've attached a couple pictures of her, only editing I did was use the clarity app on my iphone since the pictures were taken without much light. I choose her from the 40 other babies that were available because she was the darkest one, something most people would do the opposite. Anyways, thanks again!
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
Mistyck
They don't need nighttime lights as it disturbs their sleep. Plus they don't need the heat if the temps don't get below 60-64*.

Real beauty that you got, I'm jealous! lol

Old 01-04-2013, 01:20 AM   #7
AGoodwin
she is absolutely beautiful. something to try to get her into the veggies, although you probably shouldn't feed it in large quantities, my beardie loves sweet corn so maybe try chopping some of that up with some shredded kale and carrots.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #8
mikepanzarella
we use the drop method for the greens also usually works
another thing we have tried is using small horned worms,silk worms,or phoenix worms
give them one then put one or two in the greens
dont recommend doing it everytime more as a treat

Old 01-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
mgoblue347
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!