(Shamefaced) Lizard Leash Question: Best Halter? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-15-2016, 05:17 PM   #1
Dovetail
Question (Shamefaced) Lizard Leash Question: Best Halter?

Ok, I am NOT a pet costume buyer sort, but my dragon loves to roam. Yesterday, however, he made a break for the high desert, where it would be a toss-up what lizard eating predator would get him first. Also, I was scampering through prime rattlesnake habitat in flip flops at dusk trying to recover Winston before he became totally lost or gained a rock pile, cholla patch, or pack rat nest I couldn't get him out of. TOTALLY SCARY!

So at the risk of being twee or precious, what is the best method of haltering a bearded dragon safely and securely? And can they be safely "walked" on an extender lead? Winston was clearly born to run, but that just ain't safe in the Sonoran Desert! Heck, we've got 10 kinds of hawks, 5 or 6 owl species, and 2 kinds of eagles, just to mention flying hunters - let alone roadrunners, coyotes, javalenas, foxes and weasles, bobcats, BIG snakes, and gila monsters in the area. Luv ya, Winston, but safety first, bud!

Old 06-16-2016, 10:19 AM   #2
Mistyck
I use a leash that was custom made. I don't know who makes them these days, but I still have my guys leash...Even though he doesn't roam outside the tank much anymore.

Here's a few pics of it. Maybe you can make something similar?

(Yes it's pink...My daughter picked out the colors for it and said he would look pretty in pink. lol)
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2016, 03:39 PM   #3
Dovetail
Lovely! Impressive workmanship.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:43 PM   #4
Mistyck
I don't remember who made it, as it's been about 6 or 7 years since we got it. But it's really nice. They might even sell leashes at the pet shops. You could always type in "Bearded Dragon Leash" in google and see if something comes up. :-)

Old 06-17-2016, 03:43 PM   #5
Dovetail
My fear with on line, or even pet store, purchases is that it's such a crap shoot as to what really works and what is comfortable for your pet. I have pet fancy rats, also, and the little halters they make for them are generally worthless - 30 seconds, and even my dumbest rat is out of her leash and well on her way! I'm assuming dragons are equally difficult, as they are certainly equally squirmy!

That's why I'm hoping for some reviews and feedback from more experienced fanciers.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!