roach feeding strategy for leopard geckos - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-25-2004, 11:19 PM   #1
beakgeek
roach feeding strategy for leopard geckos

Hi

I bought some lobster roaches from Shannan which arrived the other day - thanks again for a great transaction! I allowed them a few days to gut load and fed some to the adults tonight. I have to say they are difficult at the least to feed to my leopard geckos. Normally, with crickets, I am not concerned if they get out since the don't survive long. These roaches on the other hand can live a long time. The boaphile cages we use have slits around the doors that would allow any uneaten roaches to escape into the house. I have read how some people pich their heads, but doing that is so time intensive. It took me twice as long to feed the leos tonight as normal. Am I doing something wrong? Am I being too paranoid? Help!!!!!!

Regards,

Terry

Old 09-26-2004, 01:55 AM   #2
progeckos
Well I use the pinching the head method. It is time consuming but after a while you’ll be surprised at how fast you get. If you don’t want to do that you could either line the tub or a container with bug stop so they won’t get out. I’ve never tried it this way so I don’t know how well it would work.

Old 09-26-2004, 03:35 AM   #3
riverjop
Terry! look at the bright side!
When they get out they seem to hang out around the cages (and your house) So you can recapture them and start the whole process over again! LMAO

They are a pain arn't they!

Old 09-26-2004, 04:45 AM   #4
Clay Davenport
I just paint the sides of a container with bug stop, and let the lizards eat out of it. Not the least more difficult or time consuming than crickets that way.

Old 09-26-2004, 07:47 AM   #5
Lucille
This may be not a workeable idea but I thought I would pitch it: if the escape routes are only around the door, could you buy or make something similar to the rubber weatherproofing flanges made for people doors?

Old 09-26-2004, 01:50 PM   #6
Xelda
I've noticed that with lobsters, they usually prefer to burrow and hide under something rather than climb up to look for an escape route.

Old 09-26-2004, 02:35 PM   #7
llechler
Yeah, I've noticed that too. I am also paranoid about my lobsters escaping, I tried many methods to feeding lobsters....oil my dish and put lobsters in the dish (I found the lobsters would just climb on each other and get out of the dish and hide under my paper towels where my leos couldn't get them!).

I tried putting the lobsters directly in the tank with a light crisco on the tops of the tank, but again, they just burried themselves under the paper towels.....

my lastest scheme....I use a container that I would use for a humidity box, but have nothing in it, I put a small layer of crisco around the top, throw in a bunch of lobsters and place the container in the tank with the leos...I have found this succesful because 1. the lobsters cannot get out 2. they are contained so the leos can get to them 3. it is easy to monitor and clean out

Old 09-26-2004, 05:52 PM   #8
beakgeek
Linda you're a genius! That sounds perfect.

Regards,

Terry

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!