Getting a baby Sav Monitor - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
Maldesto
Getting a baby Sav Monitor

Any tips for a new owner, im getting it a week from yesterday im very excited. I am going to put it in a 55 gallon for a few months, until i can come up with something else. I think im going to turn my spare bedroom into a monitor house, lay tile/repticarpet down and then a sandbox down with basking light all over the floor and plexi glass or put some wood walls on it. i'm not sure yet

any tips on how often to feed them, what kind of lights to use, what calcium powder to use, how often, etc. How often to bath them, how often to handle them

thanks in advance.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
DAND
First off, a 55 gallon for a baby is going to be way too big. A 10 gallon would suit you and it better. I'd suggest doing some research before (I can see where asking here is in a way but having someone give you the information and you looking it up are 2 different things) getting this or any animal.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:22 AM   #3
TailsWithScales
I'm sorry David but I completely disagree. A 55 gallon is a great starter size only if setup correctly. Meaning several inches of dirt, multiple hides, climbing furniture and a large water tub. Babies thrive in that and will not live in there long.

Cover the screen top except the side where the lamp is if you're using a screen top.

Are you looking for care sheets or just websites?

Old 05-14-2010, 07:28 AM   #4
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailsWithScales View Post
I'm sorry David but I completely disagree. A 55 gallon is a great starter size only if setup correctly. Meaning several inches of dirt, multiple hides, climbing furniture and a large water tub. Babies thrive in that and will not live in there long.

Cover the screen top except the side where the lamp is if you're using a screen top.

Are you looking for care sheets or just websites?
Christine,

As you are entitled to your opinion and to disagree as I am. I have found that babies (especially freshly imported babies which is what is currently flooding the market) will thrive better in a smaller enclosure as they need to and will eat a lot as babies and in larger enclosures they are not able to find the food as easily especially with the multiple hides and climbing furniture. While a large water bowl is something I agree with it needs to be shallow so as the crickets can escape when they get in (and they will) since they do not swim well and you'd just end up with some nasty cricket soup. Once they have achieved a size of 8 inches and above you could upgrade to the 55 gallon.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
TailsWithScales
So how would a wild monitor hatchling survive then??

Honestly I've raised hundreds of hatchling monitors (several being my own hatched animals) and have not started a medium sized monitor baby in below a 55 gallon. I've yet to have an underfed baby. As of now I have a male who is 28" at a year old. He started in a 3x3x3.

They can very easily find food, especially food placed in a bowl like pink mice, and it's actually good for them to have these types of choices and does make for a more secure monitor growing up especially if this animal is meant a 'pet' (meaning the hold me handle me pet).

This can be debated over and over and yes to each his own. I was just sharing in my experiences and how I've raised them.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
Maldesto
Thanks for the imput, and yes i would love some good care sheets, that you see suitable, also what kind of food should i feed a baby monitor below 8 inches... like how often to feed them, etc.. how often do i bathe them.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:14 AM   #7
SS4Luck
i cant beleive no one has sent you to savannahmonitor.org yet. Its a bible for Savs and how to get them set up perfect. Along with feeding schedules and how to get baby, juvi and adult encolsures setup perfect with pictures

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!