BIG snake backup? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you have 'backups' when working with the BIG snakes?
Yes, I always have someone in the house when dealing with large snakes 24 31.17%
No, I can handle them myself 13 16.88%
I always have someone right in the room when the snake exceeds 10 feet 16 20.78%
My snakes are free roam, they are all over the house 1 1.30%
None of my snakes are very large yet 25 32.47%
aaaaaaaaack....aargh.....help meeeeeeeeeee.......... 5 6.49%
I wall off part of the cage for safety 1 1.30%
I make my exes clean the snake cages 5 6.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2005, 10:27 PM   #1
Lucille
BIG snake backup?

Since I now have larger snakes, I try to have someone around when I am doing extensive work with the snakes, like cleaning cages, etc.

Boas have fairly laid back personalities, but if one of them gets their knickers in a knot and decides to rumble, it would be good to have help (not that it is always there immediately anyway, I called my kid to help me with something in Ms. Plus Size's cage yesterday and he took 10 minutes to finish out his guitar riff before ambling in, lol..)

Anyway, here is a poll about big snakes and backups.......

Old 05-28-2005, 10:47 PM   #2
hhmoore
such a sad state

I feel like such a weenie even responding to this poll. I don't have anything BIG anymore. no more 12+ ft amethystines...and the 17+ ft retic and 15-17 ft rocks are just so many fond memories. Back in the day, I used to "try" to have somebody else around 'just in case'. I didn't hold to it consistently, as my somebody elses always seemed to be too busy or distracted. Besides, I found that for the most part, my snakes were better behaved with nobody else around (my rocks, in particular behaved aggresively toward other people...the big retics just seemed a little on edge)The result was typically just me and the snakes, or maybe having somebody else on the other side of a closed door paying no attention.

Old 05-29-2005, 02:22 AM   #3
herphobbyist
big snakes

When I had big snakes I always had a BIG mirror mounted in the snakeroom so I could find the head or tail should I get all wrapped up. :-) Ron Radloff

Old 05-29-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
The BoidSmith
Granted, my largest snakes are boas so it’s not something that I can’t handle myself (at this point at least). But I can see where having a helping hand can come in handy. Regrettably I don’t have that option.

Regards.

Old 05-29-2005, 03:36 PM   #5
PaulSage
My longest snake is a corn, measuring 5'2", so I don't have to worry about them wrapping me up. If (when) I do get some larger snakes though I know I would be a little nervous at first. My friend used to raise red tails, and once he had an adult female pull him into her cage at feeding time. I really wish I could have been there to see it, but I'm not sure what I'd have to do to help. I never did ask him what he did to get her off...

"When corn snakes attack!! Next on Maximum Exposure..."

Old 05-31-2005, 11:05 PM   #6
Jim O
I keep scrub pythons, including some very big, strong ones. I never handle the very large ones without someone else nearby.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:55 PM   #7
ecmorrell
I would normally have someone around, but since my bf is out of town this week, I had to clean up the poo on my own. I rubbed my big (8ft, but thick) boa girl with the hook, and then stuck my hand with a plastic bag over it. Well we've been feeding her a lot lately so I guess she figured it was a rat or pig on the way in. I jerked my hand back just in time. She constricted around the plastic bag for a few minutes but eventually let me pull it out. From now on I'll have someone near by!

Old 06-23-2005, 01:43 PM   #8
kiote9
My biggest snake is 8'5" and 28 lbs. I open his boaphile and let him wake up or whatever before I reach in to take him out. I haven't had him very long, but he hasn't tried to bite, or even struck....yet. With the size of his mouth I try not to take any chances. I do this with ALL my snakes though, the opening the cage for a minute or two before I reach in.

I am usually alone when I take my snakes out. They seem calmer that way.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:35 AM   #9
hill4803
My boas are generally well behaved, only 1 incident that was more like a warning. I take lots of precautions if I have to handle them. I do use at least 1 helper (another teacher) when I take the snakes into my classes. I get the "business end" in case the snake gets irritated, and my unlucky helper gets the smelly end. Never had a hiss or a bite but my helper did get musked...very amusing!

Old 07-16-2005, 07:39 PM   #10
wreckwriter
I used to handle alone until my 8' boa decided to grab the inside of my forearm one day. I had a heck of a time getting him off of me and it was pretty traumatic for both of us. I no longer handle that snake (he's my only big one) alone.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!