Clock stopped - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 11-01-2019, 01:30 AM   #1
WebSlave
Clock stopped

I don't know what this means.

I am from a generation that grew up with analog clocks. You know, the big hand is on the "12" and the little hand is on the "3" means it is 3:00 o'clock sort of devices. And yeah, on occasion they will stop because the battery died or the plug came out of the wall, or maybe even the clock just broke. But the old joke that even a broken clock is accurate twice a day implies that the hands will still be visible, just not moving.

But electronics don't work that way. At least not to my knowledge.

I am looking at a digital LCD clock sitting on a shelf in my den that has stopped at 7:59 PM and been sitting that way for hours now. I have had the battery die in the thing many times during the time I have had it, and when that happens, you just get a blank screen. So wth does this mean?

Maybe electronics are just turning against me.

Yesterday the receiver for my weather station just quit on me. Didn't work all night long. This morning when Connie and I were getting ready to run errands, I put new batteries in the transmitted (even though it has a solar panel on it), and pressed the reset button. When we got back from errands, the receiver still wasn't picking up a signal, and I had some very dark thoughts cross my mind. And right before my eyes it started working.

Recently I decided to mount one of my wireless security cameras permanently to a wall. Been sitting there held in place with a clamp for two years now, so I figured it was time. Been working flawlessly, so why not permanently mount it finally? So I raised it up just a bit, drilled the holes and screwed the base in place. Everything looked good till I went and checked the base unit to see that the camera was out. Probably just needed the antenna moved a bit. Yeah, that worked. For about a half an hour. Long story short I was moving around both the antenna on the camera and the antennas on the base unit all day long. Sometimes it would work for a bit. I tried longer antennas. Sometimes it would work for a bit. I changed the angle that the camera was pointing. Sometimes it would work for a bit. I had Connie man the walky-talky so I wasn't climbing up and down the ladder so much and then having to check the receiver screen. Sometimes what I did made it work for a while. Sometimes nothing I did was working.

So I went and mounted another camera on a more distant location, and that was has been working flawlessly ever since. The other one (camera #2) is still dead, and has been for a day or two now. I'm wondering if I could hit it with the 12 gauge without damaging the building.

I don't know. Solar flares maybe? Insanity has finally won the battle inside my head? Maybe if I just move the clock over a couple of inches.....

Old 11-01-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
JColt
Hmmm, No swamp apes around your place is there? Some things just can't be explained.

Like yesterday. I spent most of my work outside, on a lift replacing sodium fixtures to l.e.d. It was cold, windy and raining on and off. Drive 45 min's home. I get home, take hot shower to warm up. Wife making stew with dumplings. Perfect meal for the day.

Wife sits bowl of stew in front of me. My phone goes off.

One of my co workers says there is a noise coming from ceiling and sounds like a paper shredder running for a few seconds. Goes off then a few min's later does it again.

Hmmm, when did this start? Been like that all day she says. So I say, Why didn't you tell me when I was at work? Oh I seen you were busy she says. Grrrrr....

I said, I'll check in morning. Sounds like locker room vent motor is acting up. It was. Turned off power to it and told people in locker rooms that you may want to do no.2 somewhere else till next week. Ain't getting fixed till then.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:13 PM   #3
WebSlave
Well, I did open up the clock last night and found that one of the battery terminals was heavily corroded. But why it would just freeze the display instead of just blanking out the screen, I don't have a clue.

Oh yeah, the other day I was trying to fix the sensor on my bike that detects wheel revolutions to tell me the MPH, distance traveled, etc. So Connie is over in the garage helping me, and I remove the battery and hand the receiver to her. She says, "Hey, it's working now!". Sure enough, the display is on while it is sitting in her hand. WTH? I have the battery sitting in my hand!

Still haven't figured out that one...

Old 11-01-2019, 03:11 PM   #4
JColt
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Well, I did open up the clock last night and found that one of the battery terminals was heavily corroded. But why it would just freeze the display instead of just blanking out the screen, I don't have a clue.
Corrosion may have created a short and locked display. My electronic locks at work will show solid red which is basically same thing as clock staying locked at time of incident.

Old 11-01-2019, 11:42 PM   #5
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post

Maybe electronics are just turning against me.
Maybe they are building electronic military 'safety stuff' in the area, you heard that the Orange One wants to reside in Florida, maybe he will be your new neighbor?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!