Pride... apparently nonexistent? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
mckyle
Pride... apparently nonexistent?

Am I the only one who gets pissed off when people don't bother to use correct grammar/spelling/etc. when they're trying to sell their animals? I mean, for god's sake. Take some pride in them!

Just something that really bugs me, I guess.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
JordanAng420
This is something that has bugged me too. Mostly with the classified ads, but a lot of posts in the discussion forums are painful to read as well.

When what you write is not spelled properly or is not grammatically accurate, it suggests several problems including the following:

1) You're not very educated and thus have no business commenting on the topic.
2) You don't care enough about what you're talking about to even spell or phrase it right.
3) You don't care if or how what you are saying is received accurately.
4) You are under the illusion that errors in grammar and spelling are "charming." They're not.
5) If this is your attitude with basic communication, what is your attitude with everything else?

As for ESL speakers- That is different. I am accustomed to reading/talking with people who may be highly educated but struggle with English. I can differentiate between those posts and would never criticize those people. They still use capitals at the beginning of sentences. The errors are usually consistent, medical terms are usually spelled correctly, and the thoughts formulated are intelligent.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #3
Lucille
Many ESLs are not highly educated. Many people in general are not well educated. Poverty can make for some difficult choices in life.
This is not to say that poor people can't get an education, often they struggle and soar; but some poor do not get the privilege of attending school in some countries.

If people know but don't care, that is irritating. If they want to contribute, but don't have the background to contribute in the style we are accustomed to because of genuinely pressing needs, I myself would not put them down.

In many places in the world, and in some places in America, basic education is a privilege that some do not have.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
mckyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille View Post
Many ESLs are not highly educated. Many people in general are not well educated. Poverty can make for some difficult choices in life.
This is not to say that poor people can't get an education, often they struggle and soar; but some poor do not get the privilege of attending school in some countries.

If people know but don't care, that is irritating. If they want to contribute, but don't have the background to contribute in the style we are accustomed to because of genuinely pressing needs, I myself would not put them down.

In many places in the world, and in some places in America, basic education is a privilege that some do not have.
I would think that, although it may not always be the case, most people who are able to post on a forum have the education to spell and use basic grammar.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckyle View Post
Am I the only one who gets pissed off when people don't bother to use correct grammar/spelling/etc. when they're trying to sell their animals? I mean, for god's sake. Take some pride in them!

Just something that really bugs me, I guess.
How about the people who have animals for sell versus for sale?

Old 09-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
mckyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND View Post
How about the people who have animals for sell versus for sale?
Well, at least they aren't for sails.

Although, I do think that's a more reasonable mistake than this:

"ull nvr hav anthr chanc at dis! hes 2 cute 2 stay 4ever!"

Old 09-10-2009, 09:50 PM   #7
DAND
Quote:
Well, at least they aren't for sails.

Although, I do think that's a more reasonable mistake than this:

"ull nvr hav anthr chanc at dis! hes 2 cute 2 stay 4ever!"

I'll bet if you have any questions you'll have to axe dem.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #8
R. Eventide
This bothers me, too, and not just because I'm a Grammar Nazi.

I shudder at the pasted e-mails in the BOI. Do people (both buyers and sellers) write e-mails like that to each other? I mean, how is someone supposed to take you seriously if you can't even capitalize the beginnings of sentences, the personal "I," or use punctuation? Since when was a grade-school education so hard to get?

I know a lot of people whine about the people who point out grammatical errors, and while I agree that nitpicking can get annoying, most of the time it's about understanding what in the world someone is saying. Maybe other people who don't know proper grammar can understand your sentences, but if I have to read it several times to get the meaning, then forget it. If you can't spend the effort to write an understandable sentence, then I'm not going to spend the effort to try to figure it out. :P

That's just how I feel about it....

Old 09-10-2009, 11:14 PM   #9
mckyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND View Post
I'll bet if you have any questions you'll have to axe dem.
I'll admit it, I had to think about that for a second :P

Also, if you don't mind my asking... what's that in your avatar? Almost looksl ike a hairy white hermit crab :P

Old 09-10-2009, 11:17 PM   #10
shrap
Quote:
Also, if you don't mind my asking... what's that in your avatar?
It's David himself.

I do believe that is a freshly shed roach.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!