Savanah Monitor being banned from import? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
ChaoticNightsReptile
Savanah Monitor being banned from import?

I keep hearing these may be banned from import next year? One of out local shop owners is telling people this and slowly raising prices on them. Are they really being banned?

Old 03-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
FosterHerpetological
I also read this on some other forum. I searched and couldn't find out where. I truly hope they do ban them.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
ChaoticNightsReptile
Don't worry, everything will be banned eventually.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
FosterHerpetological
Oh I know. I just think how many they import, and then think out of all of those how many actually live to adulthood...slim to none.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
ChaoticNightsReptile
Captive breeding programs are the way to go. I would imagine the savannahs would be tough to breed in captivity though.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
FosterHerpetological
I actually don't think they have ever been bred in captivity. That's why imports are still the thing.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
sschind
Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterHerpetological View Post
I actually don't think they have ever been bred in captivity. That's why imports are still the thing.
I think its the other way around. Imports are still the thing so its not worth it to breed them in captivity. With imported babies going for $20.00 to $30.00 or so a pop you can't keep a pair of adults and make any money off them so few people are willing to try. Ban them and when CB babies reach $150.00 each people will figure out to breed them pretty quickly. If I could find a nice young adult female I would consider giving it a try but I'd need a bit more room. I raise my own mice and rats and roaches so feeding would not really be an issue.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
FosterHerpetological
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschind View Post
I think its the other way around. Imports are still the thing so its not worth it to breed them in captivity. With imported babies going for $20.00 to $30.00 or so a pop you can't keep a pair of adults and make any money off them so few people are willing to try. Ban them and when CB babies reach $150.00 each people will figure out to breed them pretty quickly. If I could find a nice young adult female I would consider giving it a try but I'd need a bit more room. I raise my own mice and rats and roaches so feeding would not really be an issue.
That's not why its the other way around. Savs have never been bred, at least I have never read anything on it. Many people have been trying, especially since that albino one was imported. They are just difficult to breed. I think it has to do with space.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
ChaoticNightsReptile
Well our local shop keep is using/spreading the rumor to inflate prices. Currently selling WC Savs for $110 andexpects them to be $200 by summer.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
hadenglock
I havent heard of them being banned at all (then again i wasnt trying to find out). But i dont think it really matters, there are dozens of species right now that are supposedly going to be banned right now anyways (black dragons, water monitors, anything from madagascar lol, etc.....) but they never officially are. Captive breeding in Sav's is slow in the us (because imports are so cheap) so until something is finally done about it, captive breeding of them is rare. I would think they would be fairly easy to breed, Black Throats are being bred more and more every year, and if NERD can breed albino water monitors, then i think space would not be an issue with breeding sav's, it may be something else.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!