Calcium/Vitamin Supplements: What's everyone use? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-11-2004, 10:36 AM   #1
KelliH
Calcium/Vitamin Supplements: What's everyone use?

After reading and posting in the thread about supplementing to enhance color, I thought it would be interesting to see what supplements everyone likes using, how often, what they dislike about others, pros/cons etc.

I use Rep Cal with D3 for calcium. I keep a dish of this in each enclosure. I also dust the hatchling's food at every feeding with this.

When I use vitamin supplements, Herpivite and Vionate are the ones I use. I do strongly believe that if you are properly gut loading your feeder bugs, vitamin supplementation is not really necessary, however I do dust with herpivite once or twice a month. I also offer a dish of Vionate overnight maybe twice a month as well.

I did switch to Miner-All one year, and was not happy with it at all. That year I had problems with some of my egg laying females, and I had a higher percentage of babies hatch with problems associated with vitamin overdoses. I switched back to Rep Cal the next year.

Old 02-11-2004, 12:47 PM   #2
Intense Herpetoculture
I use only rep-cal which is provided at all times. I also gut load my crickets, superworms, and mealworms with veggies. I think I may add T-rex leo dust to their diet though, but just a little, like twice a month. I've been debating it for quite some time, and I think I may go for it, I mean, why not?

Old 02-11-2004, 02:13 PM   #3
jenn_jeffery
I do the same as Justyn and gutload the feeders, and leave rep-cal out all the time. I've also been thinking about the T-Rex leo dust/Sandfire Super Food supplement. I'm going to try it, and JUST use it for a while--still gutloading as usual though--and see what kind of response I get.

Old 02-12-2004, 09:36 AM   #4
A&M Gecko
I use Vionate only. It does not contain any carotene, but has both calcium and D3. I do not gutload my mealworms (which is the only thing I feed my geckos) but I put a bowl of mealworms mixed with vionate in all the geckos enclosures and I think the mealies eat some of the vionate while they are in there and goutload themselves. I add an extra bowl of vionate only in the breeders boxes and I have seen females lick it many times. I had great result with this system, babies grow very fast and many times I have females gaining weight while breeding. To complete the mix I add a small pinch of sand in the bowl, I believe a really small quantity of sand help the leos digest their food better and clean up their intestine. I never had 1 case of impaction from this and it is working great for me.
Alberto
PS: as added bonus, vionate in much cheaper then rerti cal and repti vitamine.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2004, 02:56 PM   #5
Xavier
I use Rep Cal calium without vit. D3 daily by dusting crickets and I also have it in small caps in the cages. Every sunday I dust the crickets with Rep Cal with vit. D3, herptivite, and Mineral O. My system has worked well I raised my first four leos to over 50 grams in 4-5 months. I kinda got scared about mineral after reading Kelli experience but it is only being used once a week and very lightly. No breedings yet its just what I decided to go with.
Xavier

Old 02-12-2004, 03:11 PM   #6
Lemur_6
Hmm...

I use Reptivite and dust all food items every feeding (thinking of switching to T-rex leopard gecko dust since it seems simpler with less unnecessary stuff in it). I feed my mealworms and supers a mix of oats (rolled and bran), wheat bran, powdered milk, carrots, apples, potatoes, yams, sunflower seeds and whatever is in the T-rex cricket gutload (has a lot of stuff, bee pollen, spirulina, calcium, protein, fat, fibre, etc etc).

Now my question is, should I NOT dust every feeding? How much is too much in terms of vitamins for leos? What are the signs of vitamin overdose?

-Dave

Old 02-14-2004, 11:04 AM   #7
hill4803
isn't vionate for endothermic animals?

I thought vionate was for warm blooded, not ectotherms. I use miner-all (indoor formula) for my leopards. I use repti-vite for some of my other lizards (iguana). Benn thinking about going rep-vite for all though!

Ro Hill

Old 04-17-2004, 07:10 AM   #8
Xavier
Alberto isn't carotene just Vitamin A? Vionae has it , just looking into more info after finding it odd, someone saw a very nice gecko and asked if vionate was being used.
Xavier

Old 04-17-2004, 07:47 AM   #9
A&M Gecko
Alberto isn't carotene just Vitamin A? Vionae has it , just looking into more info after finding it odd, someone saw a very nice gecko and asked if vionate was being used.
Xavier

Dear Xavier,
I do not know if Vitamin A is carotene, I do not think so though. I want you to know that a lot of people in this business make assumptions instead of proving with experience and fact what they say. Some people make a rumor about something and other people believe. Here is a PIC of Fat Momma 2 years ago when I was feeding her crickets and wax worms. In the next thread is Fat Momma now, after eating mealworms mixed with Vionate for almost 2 years. Now, if Vionate would make orange color look better should she be a much better looking by now? No, she is not. I would recommend people to try to prove what they say before they said.
Regards Alberto
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2004, 07:48 AM   #10
A&M Gecko
Fat momma now.
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!