forcefeeding? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-09-2004, 08:04 AM   #1
King Cobra
forcefeeding?

my corn didn't want 2 eat for over a month
so i thought i should try 2 forcefeed it which i did today
as i id so it worked and she ate but i'm afraid tht i might have hurt her !
do u guys know if there are any problems forcefeeding a snake because i didn't c anything wrong
well thx for the help[

nico

Old 05-09-2004, 09:11 PM   #2
Willis Wildlife Enterprises
I need a little more information to give you a better answer.

How old is your corn snake?
Is it a male or a female?
How long have you had your snake?
What is the current season in Hong Kong (your location)?
Did you try offering your snake a variety of food sizes, live versus frozen/thawed, lizard scented, etc.?
Has anything changed in your snake's environment? Any change in temperature?

Under most conditions, force feeding is only a last resort and must be done carefully so the snake isn't stressed too much or injured. What makes you think you hurt your snake? Have you noticed anything different about your snake since you force fed it?

Old 05-11-2004, 07:00 AM   #3
King Cobra
well here in hong kong the season is beginnig 2 change
from cold (hk standarts) 2 hot and humid
well 2 answer ur questions:

my snake is a female and she's about 1 year and 1 month old
i've had her for about 5 months
and then as i said about 2 months it stopped eating
i have tried a lot of stuff ( brained pinkies, live prey and scented)
there have been no other things about her behavior because of the weather change

well no i don't think i hurt her becuase i opened her mouth very carefully and but the pinkie in (a frozen 1, which offcourse was warmed up) and then i let her go and she started eating it after that i gave her another one which she also ate.
now for like 2 days she's just been lying there but that's unusual after a meal.

Old 05-13-2004, 06:03 AM   #4
King Cobra
sry there is a typemistake
i wanted 2 tell u that it wasn't unusual that a snake rests after a meal ...

Old 05-13-2004, 08:14 PM   #5
Willis Wildlife Enterprises
OK, the age of your snake rules out any possible breeding behavior being the cause of why your snake didn't eat for awhile. And it sounds like your snake had no problems as a result of your assisting it to eat. You really just gave it a little start versus what I consider an actual force-feeding (having to actually force the entire meal down the snake's throat and almost into it's stomach). And since it ate a second pinkie without any help, your snake will probably go back to eating normally.

As to why it stopped eating for awhile, all I can possibly think of that you may need to check is possibly related to the season. Since you said the weather has changed from cold to humid and hot, your snake's environment may have been a little too cold and your snake went into hibernation/brumation. You may not have actually changed anything in your snake's cage, but if your whole house has been cooler, due to the outside weather, it may have lowered the temp in your snake's cage as well, without you realizing it. I've seen it happen when an undertank heater has kept the bottom of the tank at the correct temps, but the ambient temps in the remaining 90% of the cage have dropped enough to affect the snake. I would suggest you check the temps throughtout your snake's cage, just to make sure. Do this periodically, whenevr the seasons change at least, and, if needed, add or remove other heat sources. My neice has to put a heat source on the top of her snake's tank during the winter months to heat the air in the upper 3/4 of the tank. She uses a simple ceramic heat bulb placed at the right distance to maintain the proper temps.

Hopefully your snake will start eating regularly again. If not, keep us posted. Good luck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!