Suspected female frilled dragon gravid - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:12 AM   #1
jpisme
Suspected female frilled dragon gravid

Hey everyone.
I am kind of new to the site, and also pretty new to breeding. I have a question I am concerned about regarding my 4 year old female frilled dragon. She is paired with a 1 year old male frill and they have been paired together since the male was about 4 months old and about 1ft long (head to tail) they've been monitored and got along great for the last 8 months. I closely monitored to make sure neither were stressing each other out. He also had a clean bill of health before entering her cage in july. everything seemed all fine and dandy until about a month ago when my female decided not to eat any more. on 1/19/19 she had 5 large dubia roaches while prior to this month she would normally eat about 10-15. I have taken her to the vet, 2 days ago (1/25/19) with my suspicion she was sick (i found very small traces of blood in her stool) when the doctor examined her he found two little bumps on the right side of her stomach. He suspected Eggs, i also need to mention that i caught her the same morning as the examination engaging in the mating dance (arm wave and head bobs) to the younger male, but he did not respond back to her initiation. Which i believe is why the dr believes she has eggs. I have done multiple things to try to get her to eat. ive offered super worms, dubia roaches, horn worms, and she rejects everything. she is losing weight and i am getting concerned. i was told i can force feed her by opening her lower jaw and putting the roaches in her mouth. I really really really don't want to do that because i know the stress this puts on an already stressed animal. I am due to the vet in 2 weeks to see what the next steps are. The vet wants it to happen naturally but i am not sure what i can do. i put a nesting area that's about 5'' deep and 1' x 1' and filled it with coco fiber soil i moistened it and it sits about 70-80% humidity and the temp since at bottom of cage is roughly 80 degrees F.
cage is a huge wooden breeder it sits at 7' x 4' x 4'
day temps
hot spot temp is 114
mid cage 90
low cage 80-83

night temps
hot spot 90
mid cage 80
low cage 75
i spray the cage down 3x a day with warm water as well as use a little dripper and the monsoon mister which goes off 4x a day for 30 seconds.
She is very active for a ''sick or gravid'' lizard she moves around the cage pretty frequently as it is a huge cage.I am trying to follow the rules to the T and have husbandry perfect. i am just very concerned as this is my first breeding attempt ever.

other notes : she got a vitamin AD and a vitamin b12 shot at vet
vet is not treating feces until post egg laying in case it effects the pregnancy. results come in tomorrow though 1/28/19
xray will be done in 2 weeks if no eggs.
he wants me to consider hormonal injections to force the egg laying.

Finally he gave me a syringe that he said i could use 1-2 cc of pedialyte every other day which is going to be my next resort if i cant get her to eat in the next day or so. i really appreciate anyone's advice they can give me this girl is my oldest of 4 and i am very worried about her. I am more concerned about her health than anything else i want her healthy. I have multiple cages ive considered taking the male out of the cage but they really don't bother each other at all. Do you guys think i should take him out? the cage is huge

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!