problems sheding on head - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-08-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
Time2Die4
Question problems sheding on head

hi, I'm new to these forums. I have a 8 month old ball python and I was wondering why he/she is having trouble sheding on the forhead? The guy at the pet store said that I should spray him with water every day. I have been putting some water on him but nothing is happening.

what do you guys think I should do?

Old 01-08-2006, 09:30 PM   #2
hhmoore
Shedding problems can be caused by a number of things - the most obvious being insufficient humidity. If you would tell us how you are housing and heating your BP, we can better advise you how to fix the problem. In the mean time, I will address the issue of the currently stuck-on shed. Spraying/misting the snake at this point will probably do very little (for future reference, when you are spraying - you will get the most benefit from spraying the enclosure & substrate, as opposed to directly spraying the snake). I would soak the snake in a container of tepid water for about an hour - make sure that the water is not too deep. Then, wet & wring out a towel. I prefer to put the snake and towel in a container (the one you soaked it in would work) or a snake bag, but you could also put them in the enclosure. Remember that you don't want the snake to get too cold during this part. The combination of soaking and the wet/damp towel should do the trick for removing the retained skin. If not, you can remove it manually...kinda like peeling the skin off a sunburn, lol

Old 01-08-2006, 11:43 PM   #3
evansnakes
You probably have it in a glass aquarium with a screen top, right? Cover half the top with saran wrap and that will send the humidity way up and end your problems.

Old 01-09-2006, 12:59 AM   #4
hhmoore
Evan,
My guess was an aquarium, with a screen top, AND a big heat lamp/CHE, lol...but I figured I should ask, to be sure

Old 01-09-2006, 03:12 PM   #5
evansnakes
Harald, great minds think alike (I guess not so great ones do too in our case). E

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!